[SOLVED] Why do some games work on Windows Vista or older versions and not Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I always see on forums posts about solutions to making older games play on newer versions of Windows, and in the end some of them just don't work. But I don't see explanations as to why.

With the Compatibility Mode, I would think it runs the program like it would in an older version of Windows. But it doesn't- not exactly, at least. So what is different? There's a game for example, NHL 2002, that used to be played on Windows Vista, but will crash after reaching the menu on Windows 10. We tried Compatibility Mode, dVoodoo, everything I could think of. And yet if the PC had the resources to run a Vista VM, I'm pretty sure it would work.

I've pretty much given up on being able to play that game (although if anyone knows how please let me know), but I just want to understand why this happens. If a game is older, but is made for Windows and works on 64-bit, shouldn't the newer versions also be able to play it, at least with Compatibility Mode set for the OS it had been playable on?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
this is the reason I have two pc.
driver, dll, directx

quoted for truth.

I had a rough experience with that just two days ago. A game works fine in my Windows 7 pc. But trying to install in Windows 10 gives me dx and dll errors. Took more than two hourse to figure out that installing Direct X 9.0c fixes the problem..

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
this is the reason I have two pc.

quoted for truth.

I had a rough experience with that just two days ago. A game works fine in my Windows 7 pc. But trying to install in Windows 10 gives me dx and dll errors. Took more than two hourse to figure out that installing Direct X 9.0c fixes the problem..

OK, but even with DirectX 8 (And as I have stated earlier, using dgVoodoo which puts the correct .dlls for DirectX 8 in the folder), NHL 2002 doesn't work. I suppose that will have to wait until I have a powerful enough PC to run a game like that on a virtual machine.

But you all have answered the question, so thanks! I'm hoping this will be solved in future updates or in Windows 11- Including the option to add older versions of DirectX. Maybe they have, but I can't install Windows 11 on my current computer so I wouldn't know. And maybe Compatibility Mode will actually do a little more than what it currently does.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
probably is gpu driver might not support directx8. everything have to work together to get it to work.
I think it's universal on Windows 10. But I did just find a fix - <Mod Deleted>
It finally works!
But the fix changed the menu music somehow to some kind of techno music. I did used to enjoy the menu song. But the game works, that's what's important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.