[SOLVED] Why do SSDs not require CHKDSK/SFC operations to be done as frequent as HDD does?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
When these hard drive fixing operations are done, do they generally just read the SSD if there is nothing that needs to be fixed? Are these commands as write heavy if they do not detect any errors?

Are there any "safe" variants of CHKDSK that it wouldn't hurt to do once in a while for SSD?

Generally do SSDs ever need to run CHKDSK, and if they do, why?

Why don't they get as many issues as HDD where CHKDSK usually fixes hard drive issues for HDD?

Solution
spinning drives, with many moving components, are more likely to fail just because of that.
data reading & writing is also more likely to fail or cause corruption due to that.

that being said; i've been through many HDDs that were in use for years and never have had any issue.
while i've also had 2.5" SATA SSDs that have had issue.

why do you want to run CHKDSK scans on a disk that has no problems?
for whatever reason it will not harm any disk and every run of CHKDSK is just as "safe" as any other if you haven't implemented any parameters that could alter data.
spinning drives, with many moving components, are more likely to fail just because of that.
data reading & writing is also more likely to fail or cause corruption due to that.

that being said; i've been through many HDDs that were in use for years and never have had any issue.

for whatever reason it will not harm any disk and every run of CHKDSK is just as "safe" as any other if you haven't implemented any parameters that could alter data.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Thank you, I'm just curious in general in case I ever feel like doing a CHKDSK if I feel performance/overall issues arise.
I would sometimes do CHKDSK /i on my old HDD, does at least solve some system file errors or does it just check things?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
depending on the drive manufacturer they may have their own proprietary software for diagnosing SSD issues.
check the manufacturer product support page's downloads sections for any available.
Yep, I downloaded WD dashboard, doesn't seem to do much for diagnosing issues. I'm not saying I had any recently, but if I just have a hunch I was just asking if variants of chkdsk like /i might fix anything compared to doing a full chkdsk /b or /r.

When these hard drive fixing operations are done, do they generally just read the SSD if there is nothing that needs to be fixed? Are these commands as write heavy if they do not detect any errors?

Are there any "safe" variants of CHKDSK that it wouldn't hurt to do once in a while for SSD?

Generally do SSDs ever need to run CHKDSK, and if they do, why?

Why don't they get as many issues as HDD where CHKDSK usually fixes hard drive issues for HDD?
The primary purpose of CHKDSK is to verify the integrity of the file system and attempt to fix any errors. However, it's not necessary to run this manually unless Windows thinks you should run it.

The task it performs is primarily reading.

The only thing you shouldn't do with CHKDSK on an SSD is scan for bad sectors. This only applies to HDDs. As for any "safe" variants, I wouldn't really use anything other than Windows'.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
The only thing you shouldn't do with CHKDSK on an SSD is scan for bad sectors. This only applies to HDDs. As for any "safe" variants, I wouldn't really use anything other than Windows'.
Thank you, when I was asking about variants I meant the types of chkdsk commands.
Does /f and /b only scan for bad sectors? What about /r or /c or /i?

Do /c or /i do anything to fix any kind of errors whatsoever or can they only read?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
you can easily find detailed descriptions of what each CHKDSK parameter accomplishes.
just read through descriptions of each available option.

there are many manuals & walkthroughs regarding using these CMD prompt options available.
just use an online browser and search.
Thank you, I did do a quick search but they're not very specific to what exactly /c and /i does. I was just wondering if they actually fix anything or not.