McFlurry

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
PU: i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz GPU: GTX 970 16GB RAM 64-bit system Motherboard: MSI, Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)

PSU: CX750M , 750W

I've been having freezing and BSOD problems for a while now. Every time I start a game my PC freezes or has a BSOD. But the weird thing is if the PC doesn't freeze/BSOD in the first 15 minutes of starting a game , nothing happens until I restart my PC. Freezing/BSOD never happens when I don't have a game open. I can have my PC running for 2 hours, and when I open a game it could crash in the next 15 minutes, or never at all until restart it seems like a 50% chance.

some BSODs from the last week or 2: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED | what failed: Ntfs.sys
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED | What failed: FLTMGT.SYS
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION what failed: | win32kfull.sys
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL | what failed: nvlddmkm.sys
Basically they are different every time. I've seen way more than this, but didn't note them down until recently.

I performed a clean install of windows 10 just now, and the problem still happens, so it has to be a hardware problem, right?

How do I troubleshoot from here? Initially I thought it was a corrupt driver, but now it still happens I think it's a hardware problem, but I don't know where to start.

The PC froze again after I only installed Chrome, Steam and Spotify purely to test if it still happens, and it did. So I have not installed any harmful drivers or other things. It's still very much a clean PC.

Thank you for helping!

Solution
PU: i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz GPU: GTX 970 16GB RAM 64-bit system Motherboard: MSI, Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)

I've been having freezing and BSOD problems for a while now. Every time I start a game my PC freezes or has a BSOD. But the weird thing is if the PC doesn't freeze/BSOD in the first 15 minutes of starting a game , nothing happens until I restart my PC. Freezing/BSOD never happens when I don't have a game open. I can have my PC running for 2 hours, and when I open a game it could crash in the next 15 minutes, or never at all until restart it seems like a 50% chance.

some BSODs from the last week or 2: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED | what failed: Ntfs.sys
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED | What failed: FLTMGT.SYS...

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED | What failed: FLTMGT.SYS
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION what failed: | win32kfull.sys
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL | what failed: nvlddmkm.sys
Basically they are different every time. I've seen way more than this, but didn't note them down until recently.

I performed a clean install of windows 10 just now, and the problem still happens, so it has to be a hardware problem, right?

How do I troubleshoot from here? Initially I thought it was a corrupt driver, but now it still happens I think it's a hardware problem, but I don't know where to start.

The PC froze again after I only installed Chrome, Steam and Spotify purely to test if it still happens, and it did. So I have not installed any harmful drivers or other things. It's still very much a clean PC.

Thank you for helping!
What's your RAM model?
Was it working before?

If the RAM is not in the QVL list of your motherboard that might be the issue.
If it is, RMA the RAM or buy new RAM.

Solution

McFlurry

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
What's your RAM model?
Was it working before?

If the RAM is not in the QVL list of your motherboard that might be the issue.
If it is, RMA the RAM or buy new RAM.
I have 2 Kingston KHX1866C10D3/8G

They were working before, I have the PC for about 3 years but the problem started occuring on and off probably half a year ago. It was never a big deal because I did not play a lot of games so I did not notice. Now I start more games it becomes more obvious.

After I had an error message on memtest86 I did it 2 more times, with no errors, however..

I have 2 Kingston KHX1866C10D3/8G

They were working before, I have the PC for about 3 years but the problem started occuring on and off probably half a year ago. It was never a big deal because I did not play a lot of games so I did not notice. Now I start more games it becomes more obvious.

After I had an error message on memtest86 I did it 2 more times, with no errors, however..
RAM has lifetime warranty so it should be easy to RMA. Memory issues are random sometimes it work sometimes no.