Question Why does Surround Sound only work for me on a Blu-ray player ?

Mar 26, 2024
So...

I had an Onkyo TX-SR393 AV Receiver (5.1ch HDMI 2.0) hooked up to a Windows 11 PC and a Hisense 75E7KQ TV... and the surround sound worked perfectly with it > in KODI and in MPCHC . windows recognized that i have 5.1 speakers and set audio output as such in the sound control panel. but with the Onkyo i couldn't run 4k HDR because of the older HDMI standard so I upgraded to a Denon x2800H and that's where the problems started... I finally had HDR10 but upon playing any movie file or test file, as soon as surround sound had to make noise the noise came from the front speakers instead > so basically stereo....

at first i thought it was because Windows only recognized the audio device as stereo in the control panel but that shouldn't have made any difference because both MPCHC and Kodi were set to correct channel amount and layout...

I had already set up the AVR several times (with and without mic calibration) and had tried several settings... but every time i do a channel check inside the AVRs settings all the channels play correctly > so the AVR is configured correctly!

In order to cut out the possibility that Windows was at fault i hooked up the external hdd to the TV directly and played some files > 4k and HDR10 worked flawlessly but the sound was still only stereo even though receiver was set to atmos / dtsx....

i was sure that since its not working directly on the TV it wont work on any other devices either....

nonetheless i tried hookig up the HDD directly to a panasonic Bluray player that a friend lent me and sure enough everything was woerrking perfectly 4k, HDR10 and the surround sound configuration including the height channels (atmos).

How come that surround sound doesn't work on any device except for a Blu-ray player??

firmware updates were installed on the AVR > did not help

NOTE: I also tried Ubuntu and surround sound still only worked as stereo with that.

So what could be causing this, how could i fix this?
thanks in advance!

So...

I had an Onkyo TX-SR393 (5.1ch HDMI 2.0) hooked up to a windows 11 PC and a Hisense 75E7KQ TV... and the surround worked perfectly with it > in KODI and in MPCHC . windows recognized that i have 5.1 speakers and set audio output as such in the sound control panel. but witht the onkyo i couldnt run 4k HDR because of the older HDMI standard so I upgraded to an Denon x2800H and thats where the problems started... I finally had HDR10 but upon playing any movie file or test file, as soon as surrounds had to make noise the noise came from the front speakers instead > so basically stereo....

at first i thought it was because windows only recognized the audio device as stereo in the control panel but that shouldnt have made a difference because both MPCHC and Kodi were set to correct channel amount and layout...
I already had set up the AVR several times (with and without mic calibration) and had tried several settings... but every time i do a channel check inside the AVRs settings all the channels play correctly > so the AVR is configured correctly!

In order to cut out the possibility that windows was at fault i hooked up the external hdd to the TV directly and played some files > 4k and HDR10 worked flawlessly but the sound still was stereo even though receiver was set to atmos / dtsx....

i was sure that since its not working directly on the TV it wont work on any other devices either....

nonetheless i tried hookig up the HDD directly to a panasonic Bluray player that a friend lent me and sure enough everything was woerrking perfectly 4k, HDR10 and the surround configuration including the height channels (atmos).
how come that surround doesnt work on any device except for a bluray player??

firmware updates were installed on the AVR > did not help

NOTE: (apart from windows i also had tried ubuntu and surround also worked only as stereo there)

So what could be causing this, how could i fix this?
thanks in advance!
In the MPC-HC Audio Decoder Formats dialog box are all 7 of the boxes check marked for all of the formats? In the Output menu is it set for the MPC Audio Renderer?