[SOLVED] Why does underclocking my GPU improve performance?

Oct 11, 2021
While building a system from used parts, I installed a GTX 650 Ti BOOST, and the only way I could get games to run on it is if I underclocked the GPU. CPU is AMD Athlon II X2 250. When I start a game without underclocking the GPU, the game will crash without fail. If I overclock the GPU even slightly and then start a game, my PC bluescreens.

ALSO, sometimes while playing games I will encounter artifacts such as little white squares just floating around the screen when rendering 3D objects.

When I am not rendering anything 3D, the GPU works just fine as if nothing was wrong. The temps never exceed 45 degrees c.

Solution
This
ALSO, sometimes while playing games I will encounter artifacts such as little white squares just floating around the screen when rendering 3D objects.
usually shows the problem is in GPU itself. Together with everything else you wrote I would be inclined to say its just bad GPU. Note that "bad" GPU can still "work" - like it works fine when not playing games or only not demanding games etc. Underclocking it is kind of workaround to make it "work" better, but permanent solution in this case would be another GPU. Of course it still can be a problem with PSU, but it would have to be really crappy model.
Oct 11, 2021
It sounds like you built a Frankenstein pc, so not all parts may play nice together. Sounds like to me if you have to underclock your gpu to get it to work your psu may not have enough wattage to go around. What parts did you put together?

I don't believe that it is a power issue because I'm currently using a separate power supply (Thermaltake external PSU) specifically for the GPU. It has the same results as if I was using the 6pin power straight from the main PSU.

EDIT: Tonight I am going to test the GPU out in another computer in order to verify the problem that I am having.

UPDATE: I have tried it in another computer and I'm having the same if not worse results, even when underclocking. (I installed it into a computer with a core 2 duo v-pro)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021
Just because you have a 6 pin hooked up from a separate PSU doesn't mean the GPU isn't pulling most of its wattage from the motherboard, which sounds like it isn't getting enough.

How would I stop it from pulling most of its wattage from the motherboard?

Oct 11, 2021
It would be easier to plug a better PSU into the motherboard. You can't change that afaik.

But you just told me that its pulling too much wattage from the motherboard and I've had the same results from 3 different power supplies. So how would putting a "better power supply" help my problem of drawing too much wattage from the mobo?

Oct 11, 2021
Honestly i have never heard of anybody doing that before. You have the gpu pulling power from the motherboard and reporting it's usage, but then you have an outside power source to the card with nothing to tell the system what is going on like voltages, etc.
Well even when using the 6 pin from the main PSU, I have issues. I highly doubt at this point that its a voltage or wattage issue. I think its just the GPU that's malfunctioning. Either way I was told it didn't work at all, but I got it to "work" on my first try. Maybe they meant "it doesn't work" as there's an issue with the card, but it turns on?

This
usually shows the problem is in GPU itself. Together with everything else you wrote I would be inclined to say its just bad GPU. Note that "bad" GPU can still "work" - like it works fine when not playing games or only not demanding games etc. Underclocking it is kind of workaround to make it "work" better, but permanent solution in this case would be another GPU. Of course it still can be a problem with PSU, but it would have to be really crappy model.

Solution