[SOLVED] Why is Edge showing up as a blank icon on my taskbar when I run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonKnight98

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
No other app does this: Edge shows up as a blank white paper icon when I run it. On the desktop and on the start menu, it has an icon, even pinning it to the taskbar shows it having an icon, but when I run it, a new icon appears (the blank page) and I can't seem to fix it!

I have tried rebooting, restarting windows explorer, resetting icon cache, uninstalling and reinstalling New Edge, deleting all the Edge files in its directory, booting into safe mode, and running sfc /scannow on CMD. I can't think of anything else to try.

This issue doesn't occur with old Edge (trying it after deleting new Edge).

I'm using Windows 10 Home 2004 Build 19041.508

Images of issue: View: https://imgur.com/a/fqPOvhJ

Thank you in advance for any help!

Solution
You not only one although in case below it would make a 2nd edge icon as well
5mEblpL.jpg

MS answer above is it might be a profile issue.
Open the Edge settings and check how many profiles are available in the profile option. If you have more than one, delete the ones you don't want and leave only one available.
The op in post went into the about screen and updated edge which seemed to fix it.

CrimsonKnight98

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015

CrimsonKnight98

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
run antivirus software and scan the system (e.g. malwarebytes.com)
which antivirus are you using?
any windows settings changed? Did you alter the apps privileges in windows?
I use Windows Defender. I ran a full scan and turned up no (real) threats—it showed a few apps it thinks are malicious, which aren't.

Nothing else was found and Edge is still showing as a blank icon

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You not only one although in case below it would make a 2nd edge icon as well
5mEblpL.jpg

MS answer above is it might be a profile issue.
Open the Edge settings and check how many profiles are available in the profile option. If you have more than one, delete the ones you don't want and leave only one available.
The op in post went into the about screen and updated edge which seemed to fix it.

Solution
Mar 7, 2022
Following steps fixed it for me
  1. Go to edge settings > profiles > create new profile > note the profile name ("Profile 3" in my case)
  2. Browse path C:\Users\ashig\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data
  3. Open newly created folder with profile name (example "Profile 3")
  4. Copy "Edge Profile.ico" file to other profile folders including "default" folder

Status
Not open for further replies.