dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I just built a new Dual core Opteron 2.0 ghrtz system with a gig ocz ram and main drive is a SATA 2 Seagate 320 gig HD all on Windows XP pro w/ sp2. Well, why is it when I first install windows xp pro everything loads up really quick. For instance, if I hit my computer, control panel, the windows pop up instantly. If I hit the Winamp icon, it loads up instantly. But when after I install so many programs into the freshly installed OS system, things start to lag when loading up. For instance, hitting the control panel takes a couple of seconds to come up or winamp will take a few seconds to load up. I don't have any antivirus/antispyware/or firewall running that would cause this lag. I also make sure there aren't any programs running in the back ground that would cause this lag. I know HD's start to lag when they get full, but I don't install enough programs that would even total a gig and it's on a 70 gig partition with 63 gigs free. So, why is it that the system starts to lag after so many progams are installed into the OS when opening windows or loading programs? The only thing I can figure the lag has something to do with the OS since it it doesn't do this on a freshly installed OS.

pat

Expert
I just built a new Dual core Opteron 2.0 ghrtz system with a gig ocz ram and main drive is a SATA 2 Seagate 320 gig HD all on Windows XP pro w/ sp2. Well, why is it when I first install windows xp pro everything loads up really quick. For instance, if I hit my computer, control panel, the windows pop up instantly. If I hit the Winamp icon, it loads up instantly. But when after I install so many programs into the freshly installed OS system, things start to lag when loading up. For instance, hitting the control panel takes a couple of seconds to come up or winamp will take a few seconds to load up. I don't have any antivirus/antispyware/or firewall running that would cause this lag. I also make sure there aren't any programs running in the back ground that would cause this lag. I know HD's start to lag when they get full, but I don't install enough programs that would even total a gig and it's on a 70 gig partition with 63 gigs free. So, why is it that the system starts to lag after so many progams are installed into the OS when opening windows or loading programs? The only thing I can figure the lag has something to do with the OS since it it doesn't do this on a freshly installed OS.

If the pagefile is dinamic, then it may be because of the fragmentation.

try to defrag and set the pagefile to a fixed value.