Oct 16, 2022
GPU:
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8G OCV1 LHR
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen - RYZEN 7 3700X Matisse (Zen 2) 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
PSU:
Rosewill PMG Series, PMG1200, 1200W Fully Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Low Noise, Single +12V Rail, SLI & CrossFire Ready, Black
MMO:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (Wi-Fi) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) Micro ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS FlashBack, HDMI 2.1, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and AURA Sync)
RAM:
(theres 4 sticks all clocked at 3200) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

I just upgraded from a 600w psu and a 2060 rtx and the performance I am getting is worse than before I upgraded, gta 5 at 1080p high settings runs like dog water, days gone is at an unplayable 28 fps, Ghost runner works "good" only a quarter of the time. I already used DDU to make sure I dont have conflicting drivers for my gpu and I cant make DOCP work without my MMO giving me the four beeps of death.
also even running Firefox my gpu usage in task manager shows it fluctuating between 20% to 99% usage.

Please help me before I throw my entire PC into the ocean.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
gpu usage in task manager shows it fluctuating between 20% to 99% usage.
Sounds like you downloaded something you shouldn't have, and security failed to stop it.
The scenarios that come to mind to cause that behavior involve malicious software. The ones that don't are a game running in the background, and Wallpaper Engine...

Run a full system AV scan, and even give Adwcleaner a try: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner

Reactions: KyaraM
Oct 16, 2022
Sounds like you downloaded something you shouldn't have, and security failed to stop it.
The scenarios that come to mind to cause that behavior involve malicious software. The ones that don't are a game running in the background, and Wallpaper Engine...

Run a full system AV scan, and even give Adwcleaner a try: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner

so I ran a scan with adwcleaner as well as a smart scan with advast, nothing popped up. I also had previously reformatted my computer not too long ago, the only programs i currently have on my computer besides the essentials is advast and steam ( as well as 3 games to test fps on)

DavidM012

Distinguished
You mixed 2 kits of 2x8gb memory.

If you wanted 32gb of mem you should've got 1 kit of 4x8 or 1 kit of 2x16, rather than 2 kits of 2x8.

Even memory from the same brand isn't guaranteed to be compatible if it isn't in a kit. 'From the same kit'.

So the only person on earth who knows what order you installed the 2 memory kits in - is you. Try to remember or basically you have 2x2x8gb kits all swizzled up. Otherwise it will be trial and error to sort out which ones go together.

Well there's a 50/50 chance of matching the right pair of dimms.

Reactions: DMTee
Oct 16, 2022

If you wanted 32gb of mem you should've got 1 kit of 4x8 or 1 kit of 2x16, rather than 2 kits of 2x8.

Even memory from the same brand isn't guaranteed to be compatible if it isn't in a kit. 'From the same kit'.

So the only person on earth who knows what order you installed the 2 memory kits in - is you. Try to remember or basically you have 2x2x8gb kits all swizzled up. Otherwise it will be trial and error to sort out which ones go together.

I'll try this out, thank you. I know for sure two of the sticks are from the same kit so ill just try reducing it to only those two and see if that helps at all. Ill keep this thread updated.

Oct 16, 2022

So I reduced the ram by 16 gb and both sticks are from the same set. Unfortunately somehow this reduced the FPS in GTA 5 down to 15 fps from 25 or so. on a brighter note the gpu seems to be fluctuating slower. I'm wondering if I should bring the ram clock speed back down to default instead of 3200? not too sure though.

Oct 16, 2022
What else did you have running? (high cpu background use.) You need to enable XMP in the BIOS to get your RAM running at 3200MHz. But yeah, as others have said, something is really hitting your gpu performance. This is a brand new card not a 2nd hand card, yes?
at the time of the test, I had nothing running in the background. and yes the card was brand new when I bought it, i had previously forgot to uninstall my old gpu drivers when i installed it and thought that was the issue so i used DDU to uninstall and reinstall the correct drivers. The only thing i recently upgraded was the GPU, PSU, and RAM so I really have no idea what the issue is. No malware detected and no obvious issues are popping out at me. I think I'm in serious need of a PC guru

Oct 16, 2022
managed to set the priority for Desktop windows manager down from high to normal, got a little bit more fps and the GPU usage only peaks at 98 now while loading up games. Still not what i would consider peak performance for a 3060ti

Oct 16, 2022
Looking at your latest result, you still have really high background use of the cpu. Yes, definitely something is up, I have a 3060 ti and mine scores 143% to your 72.4%. Hopefully someone else will jump on this thread to help you out.
That's the hope, I've used this website for years but never had to post anything on this form until today. What CPU are you running?

KyaraM

Admirable
usually between 1%-18%, weird thing is though as soon as I open task manager it shows it dropping from 40-50 percent down to as i said 1-18
Yeah, sounds like something is running in the background that doesn't want to be spotted. It is possible that those things are hiding from your antivirus, too, those aren't perfect after all. There are a couple things that can do that, including bitcoin miners but also more malicious stuff. When you reformatted Windows, how did you go about that? Did you completely clean install? If not, try that.

Worst case, I would personally wipe the entire machine clean including the secondary drives. Save data to an external drive, but make really sure not to copy any programs. Then test with the clean Windows without the drive attached. If it works, you will have to make sure no files on the external drive are infected. This sounds drastic, and it is, but with what you describe, there is something very wreong with your PC imho.

Is that new run with Taskmanager open?

Reactions: DMTee
Oct 16, 2022
Cool, at least you're going in the right direction. Can you enable XMP in the BIOS to speed up your RAM?
Unfortunately I cannot find an XMP setting in bios, only docp which i guess is sort of the same. Problem is though the last 2 times i tried to enable it my pc didnt like it and had to boot into safe mode

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 16, 2022
Yeah, sounds like something is running in the background that doesn't want to be spotted. It is possible that those things are hiding from your antivirus, too, those aren't perfect after all. There are a couple things that can do that, including bitcoin miners but also more malicious stuff. When you reformatted Windows, how did you go about that? Did you completely clean install? If not, try that.

Worst case, I would personally wipe the entire machine clean including the secondary drives. Save data to an external drive, but make really sure not to copy any programs. Then test with the clean Windows without the drive attached. If it works, you will have to make sure no files on the external drive are infected. This sounds drastic, and it is, but with what you describe, there is something very wreong with your PC imho.

Is that new run with Taskmanager open?

I believe i had task manager closed, and I when I had preformed the reformat I clicked the option to keep some certain files since due to the fact the other option stated it was more suited for if I didn't plan to keep the computer, but I guess I could try again and just use windows creation tool to do a completely clean reinstall of windows

KyaraM

Admirable
I believe i had task manager closed, and I when I had preformed the reformat I clicked the option to keep some certain files since due to the fact the other option stated it was more suited for if I didn't plan to keep the computer, but I guess I could try again and just use windows creation tool to do a completely clean reinstall of windows
A clean install via external medium would be my recommendation when experiencing issues, it's always better since it makes sure that everything, including registry entries and especially pervasive malware, is truly gone. But you should wait a bit and see what others say first. I'm by no means an expert and someone else might know more about your issues.