[SOLVED] Why is my CPU 70 degrees when watching YouTube?

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
I got my i7-870 delivered yesterday and it was brand new. I installed it into my PC and I'm reaching temperatures of 70+ degrees. Right now as I make this discussion my temperature is sitting on 80 degrees. I have no idea why this is happening, I followed a YouTube tutorial on how to apply thermal paste and for some reason I'm still at such high degrees. Please help me fix this!!!

8x2akyg.png

Solution
I searched up the safe temperature for i5-650 and it said 72°C, the i7-870 was 77°C. Guess the website I looked at was very inaccurate. But yes, it's currently shipping and supports LGA1156 :)

Not temperature. Thermal Design Power. The TDP number tells you the maximum heat a computer chip, such as a CPU or GPU, can use in watts. It also is often used as a basic indicator of power consumption.

So let's say that cooler you had has a TDP of 80 watts. It was ok for that TDP 73 watts CPU but it wasn't for the 95 watts TDP CPU.

Just don't use a cooler from a previous CPU if you're not sure about it's effectiveness on the new CPU. Come here and ask us instead :)

That poor cooler wasn't enough for that new CPU. Your GAMMAX 400 will...
How is it that you think you got a "brand new" CPU yesterday when that CPU model was released 12 years ago and production on it stopped in early 2012?

You might have a CPU that is "new old stock" that somebody had sitting around unused, but it's definitely not "new". And even that seems pretty far fetched for a CPU model that was in high demand when it WAS new.

What cooler are you using? What method did you use to apply the thermal paste and did you check to make sure there wasn't any protective plastic sheet across the bottom of the cooler that needed to first be removed?

Is this the stock cooler? If so, why would you need to apply thermal paste when stock coolers come with it pre-applied? If there wasn't any pre-applied, then that just compounds the idea that this was not a new CPU and is probably the reason you have problems is that you bought a used CPU being sold as a new CPU and that it already had problems and now, you've been scammed.

Reactions: Nemesia

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
How is it that you think you got a "brand new" CPU yesterday when that CPU model was released 12 years ago and production on it stopped in early 2012?

You might have a CPU that is "new old stock" that somebody had sitting around unused, but it's definitely not "new". And even that seems pretty far fetched for a CPU model that was in high demand when it WAS new.

What cooler are you using? What method did you use to apply the thermal paste and did you check to make sure there wasn't any protective plastic sheet across the bottom of the cooler that needed to first be removed?

Is this the stock cooler? If so, why would you need to apply thermal paste when stock coolers come with it pre-applied? If there wasn't any pre-applied, then that just compounds the idea that this was not a new CPU and is probably the reason you have problems is that you bought a used CPU being sold as a new CPU and that it already had problems and now, you've been scammed.
I have a really poor cooler. It came with my first CPU, an i5-650. I've purchased a GAMMAXX 400 and I'll see if that lowers my temperature down. Also, the seller had 1,000+ ratings for their products, almost all being 4+ stars. Yeah I know it's not BRAND NEW but the condition of it is perfect, hence why I said it was brand new, mainly because it looked like it.

The i5-650 has a TDP of 73 watts. The i7-870 is TDP 95 watts. So you were using a cooler that wasn't made to be used with that CPU. You can only do that if the cooler is rated to work on a higher TDP CPU.

The GAMMAXX 400 will do a good job compared to the cooler you were using. It wasn't adequate.

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
The i5-650 has a TDP of 73 watts. The i7-870 is TDP 95 watts. So you were using a cooler that wasn't made to be used with that CPU. You can only do that if the cooler is rated to work on a higher TDP CPU.

The GAMMAXX 400 will do a good job compared to the cooler you were using. It wasn't adequate.
I searched up the safe temperature for i5-650 and it said 72°C, the i7-870 was 77°C. Guess the website I looked at was very inaccurate. But yes, it's currently shipping and supports LGA1156 :)

Not temperature. Thermal Design Power. The TDP number tells you the maximum heat a computer chip, such as a CPU or GPU, can use in watts. It also is often used as a basic indicator of power consumption.

So let's say that cooler you had has a TDP of 80 watts. It was ok for that TDP 73 watts CPU but it wasn't for the 95 watts TDP CPU.

Just don't use a cooler from a previous CPU if you're not sure about it's effectiveness on the new CPU. Come here and ask us instead :)

That poor cooler wasn't enough for that new CPU. Your GAMMAX 400 will be :)

Solution

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021

That poor cooler wasn't enough for that new CPU. Your GAMMAX 400 will be :)
Ohhhh, now I understand. Thanks heaps!

Keep in mind as well that Intel's TDP spec is only for the max base clock at 100% utilization. It does NOT factor in the power draw under all core boost conditions. Boosted power draw on Intel CPUs is MUCH higher than what they list as "TDP" for ALL of their processors. So any "95" Intel CPU that has boost capability is going to draw a lot more power than what it's listed as when it's under a full load and it's boost profile is enabled, which it generally IS by default for any boost capable models.

Reactions: Nemesia