SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I just installed my new ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC and I am only playing on 1080p/144hz at the moment. I installed Call of Duty Cold War and I maxed out the settings at 1080p. As I am playing the campaign, the temperature of this GPU hits a red color from 86'C to 91'C (but 85'C is considered white/normal) and then the game crashes to the desktop.

Why is this top-of-the-line RTX 3090 hitting such high temperatures? I heard other RTX 3090s has a MAXIMUM temperature range of 65'C to 70'C while mine is hitting 91'C.

I just installed my new ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC and I am only playing on 1080p/144hz at the moment. I installed Call of Duty Cold War and I maxed out the settings at 1080p. As I am playing the campaign, the temperature of this GPU hits a red color from 86'C to 91'C (but 85'C is considered white/normal) and then the game crashes to the desktop.

Why is this top-of-the-line RTX 3090 hitting such high temperatures? I heard other RTX 3090s has a MAXIMUM temperature range of 65'C to 70'C while mine is hitting 91'C.
What case? How many fans?

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
So you have no fresh, cool air getting to the GPU. That case only looks good for a complete liquid cooling setup. I believe you're going to have a hard time keeping any high performance, air cooled GPU cool.
Actually, the two top fans pushing air down is getting fresh air into the case. Also, if you compare my huge Tower 900 to something like a regular desktop case, there is A LOT of room for air.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
My 2 cents.Top + back exhaust front intake.The reason being.You cannot of top fans suck in as it will cause turbulence because ht back fan are not strong enough to suck the air out.It's basic logic tbhThe basic is that a back fan has to be stronger than the rest of your fans If you suck air from the top.I had a custom server fan in my old rig to test it out with intake at top and the custom fan at back.It worked because the back fan was strong enough.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking at pictures across Newegg, Amazon, and Google, and everything suggests that the card's being choked.

Actually, the two top fans pushing air down is getting fresh air into the case. Also, if you compare my huge Tower 900 to something like a regular desktop case, there is A LOT of room for air.
1)They're pushing down into 2 separate chambers. The chassis is divided into a front and back chamber by a wall, but it has some cable grommets, and at the very bottom, gaps to allow pass-throughs for custom loop tubing.
The fan that you have blowing air into the front chamber isn't doing anything because it's positioned behind the gpu's backplate and not in front of it where its fans are.
Plus the gpu's fans are facing a glass window.
The gpu is getting fed very little air, if at all.

2)There is NOT a lot of room for air. The bulk of the airflow is passing through the rear chamber, where the radiators should be, and said radiators should be hooked up to the cpu and gpu.
There is no real airflow in the front chamber. Again, I'm looking at numerous pics trying to see where air is supposed to naturally enter from and feed the gpu... and they are too small to feed a gpu of that caliber.
This chassis isn't ideal for air cooled setups.

Last edited:

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I'm looking at pictures across Newegg, Amazon, and Google, and everything suggests that the card's being choked.

1)They're pushing down into 2 separate chambers. The chassis is divided into a front and back chamber by a wall, but it has some cable grommets, and at the very bottom, gaps to allow pass-throughs for custom loop tubing.
The fan that you have blowing air into the front chamber isn't doing anything because it's positioned behind the gpu's backplate and not in front of it where its fans are.
Plus the gpu's fans are facing a glass window.
The gpu is getting fed very little air, if at all.

2)There is NOT a lot of room for air. The bulk of the airflow is passing through the rear chamber, where the radiators should be, and said radiators should be hooked up to the cpu and gpu.
There is no real airflow in the front chamber. Again, I'm looking at numerous pics trying to see where air is supposed to naturally enter from and feed the gpu... and they are too small to feed a gpu of that caliber.
This chassis isn't ideal for air cooled setups.
I removed the front and side glass panels and the GPU temperature was maxing at 86'C

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does that make it ok though?
A 9900K has a critical limit of 100C.
Say you play a game, render a video, or run a stress test for about an hour... and during that time, the cpu is sitting at a constant 91C.
It's within spec, and the cpu isn't going to clock down until it hits 100C... but does that make it ok?

Same deal with that gpu, but with an extra caveat: Unlike your 9900KS, the boost clocks on the 3090 are temperature sensitive. It's been like this with all of Nvidia's gpus since the 10 series.
The cooler it runs the better - at the very least, it should be below the rated thermal limit, which is 83C, so still too hot, IMO, at 86C, after you removed the front and 2 side panels.

Even though you took the front and side panels off, I wonder if the vertical orientation is still hindering things?

Then there's also my question about the cooler mounting; Asus has slipped up with this before on their RX 5700XT TUF and Strix models.

Reactions: spacejunk

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Then there's also my question about the cooler mounting; Asus has slipped up with this before on their RX 5700XT TUF and Strix models.

I can attest to that. I'm also onboard with this being a likely cause.

@op - Is the backplate/heatsink on the card also very hot to the touch while in operation ? Because at that temp it should be hot enough to boil an egg.

Also what is your idle temp at ? If it's anywhere near 60c then there is definitely an issue with the cooler.

My 2070-S operates at around 55-60c under load but the backplate is usually very hot, which would signify that the mounting is good. If yours is not boiling hot it would probably suggest the opposite.

One other thing that comes to mind is your GPU fan curve. Being that your case fan configuration isn't great, you should be running a pretty aggressive fan curve in Afterburner or similar program.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I can attest to that. I'm also onboard with this being a likely cause.

@op - Is the backplate/heatsink on the card also very hot to the touch while in operation ? Because at that temp it should be hot enough to boil an egg.

Also what is your idle temp at ? If it's anywhere near 60c then there is definitely an issue with the cooler.

My 2070-S operates at around 55-60c under load but the backplate is usually very hot, which would signify that the mounting is good. If yours is not boiling hot it would probably suggest the opposite.

One other thing that comes to mind is your GPU fan curve. Being that your case fan configuration isn't great, you should be running a pretty aggressive fan curve in Afterburner or similar program.
Yes the backplate is hot to the touch under max load (but that is the same for all GPUs in max load).

My idle temperature is surprisingly very low around 35'C-55'C. (On average, around 40'C)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
Hi,

Its because your fans at the top is sucking air in and not allowing your gpu to blow air up away from your card, I know this from experience. Either move your radiator to the front of your case and have air sucking in or have the fans pushing air out of your case at the top. This will 100% solve your issue with the GPU overheating.

Amended: Ignore me, Ive just looked at your case lol .

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

Its because your fans at the top is sucking air in and not allowing your gpu to blow air up away from your card, I know this from experience. Either move your radiator to the front of your case and have air sucking in or have the fans pushing air out of your case at the top. This will 100% solve your issue with the GPU overheating.
They can't do that, because Thermaltake Tower 900:
iu

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Yes the backplate is hot to the touch under max load (but that is the same for all GPUs in max load).

My idle temperature is surprisingly very low around 35'C-55'C. (On average, around 40'C)

Well in that case it seems like you already have the answer to your question.

If I owned that case I would order some plexiglass to fit the dimensions of the side panel and make a cut out for two 120/140mm fans to feed directly to the GPU. Then switch the top fans to exhaust. I think that would be even more effective than a GPU liquid cooler for that case.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

If I owned that case I would order some plexiglass to fit the dimensions of the side panel and make a cut out for two 120/140mm fans to feed directly to the GPU. Then switch the top fans to exhaust. I think that would be even more effective than a GPU liquid cooler for that case.
While there are 2 top fans, they are in separate compartments; there is essentially 1 exhaust available to the gpu in the front compartment.

This is still a chassis intended for custom liquid builds; all the radiator space and airflow is in the rear compartment, which is separated from the front compartment where the 'showcase' is.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016

I tried using a triple fan Bionaire window fan and I put it on the outside-left-side VERTICALLY of my PC Tower 900 blowing its hardest at my RTX 3090 Strix OC:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDS4M0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While at the same time, reverse installed the top fan inside my Tower 900 to exhaust airflow upwards.

I tried playing Warzone on max settings in 4k, and I still got 87'C temperatures.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I tried using a triple fan Bionaire window fan and I put it on the outside-left-side VERTICALLY of my PC Tower 900 blowing its hardest at my RTX 3090 Strix OC:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDS4M0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While at the same time, reverse installed the top fan inside my Tower 900 to exhaust airflow upwards.

I tried playing Warzone on max settings in 4k, and I still got 87'C temperatures.

Hmm well that's 4 degrees but hardly the result I would have expected.

So the idle is fine, but the card can't be adequately cooled even with additional active cooling when under load. Surely this thing is pulling too much power or there is something wrong with it's thermal solution. With an open case it should not be exceeding 75c. If what you said was true about the testing environment, then it's got to be a problem best handled by the manufacturer. I'd look to RMA that thing as 90c is just not acceptable.

If you wanted to be absolutely sure it's the card, see if you can swap it to a friends/family members PC. But it sure sounds like an issue with the card itself.