Nov 9, 2019
So this is my 2nd build. My old build was messed with by my kids when I was out of town and stopped turning on. I did all the troubleshooting possible with my limited resources before taking it to a local computer shop for diagnostic, where I was told my motherboard was bad. They didn’t know what was wrong with it, but discovered it wasn’t working. I then made a trip to micro center for a new one and discovered that it was difficult to find a motherboard that would be compatible with my intel i3 6100 processor. This is where I made the decision to just get a whole new processor as well and after some research and considering current prices, I made the decision to switch from Intel to AMD. I ended up taking home a Ryzen 5 1600 processor and a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M motherboard. After building everything outside the case, I tested it and while everything turned on, I didn’t get a signal on my screen. That’s when I noticed that the cpu error led was illuminated on my motherboard. I disconnected everything and took it back to basics. I inspected my cpu to make sure there were no damaged pins. I reinstalled it and kept the heat sink fan, graphics card, and hard drive disconnected, just to see if I could get it to boot. Again, everything turned on, fans were spinning, but no signal on the screen and CPU light illuminated. I’ve tried moving my DDR4 ram to other slots just in case it was causing a problem, but no difference. I’m not super experienced with this and don’t know what could be going wrong. I built my original pc 2 years ago without problem and this is my first time doing anything like this since. What could be going wrong? The only thing I can think of is a faulty cpu, but have trouble believing it’s that simple. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or proven solutions?

Any suggestions or proven solutions?
Do you have a discrete GPU in the system? The motherboard has a connector for a monitor but it won't work with a Ryzen 1600 processor, which has no internal GPU as did the i3-6100. So you'll need a discrete GPU.

If you don't have one, and don't wish to buy one, you could instead return the 1600 (Microcenter has an excellent return policy) and instead get a 2400G (or even 3400G, but be careful as a motherboard BIOS update might be needed) which has an internal GPU.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
I had the same problem once and took it all back to the same MicroCenter I purchased it from with the receipts and boxes for the CPU and motherboard. I took it to the service department and paid for them to diagnose the problem and it turned out that that the cpu was bad. They gave me a brand new CPU and motherboard (because I had brought them back the original boxes and receipt) and installed the new CPU and motherboard into the case and wired it all up for me. Total out the door was around $80.00 or so.

Yeah, I think you may have a bad CPU like I did. Call their service department and see what you can work out.

Nov 9, 2019
I had no idea 😬 I have a graphics card, but will I need to purchase something else to get it to work? I currently have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC

Do you have a discrete GPU in the system? The motherboard has a connector for a monitor but it won't work with a Ryzen 1600 processor, which has no internal GPU as did the i3-6100. So you'll need a discrete GPU.

If you don't have one, and don't wish to buy one, you could instead return the 1600 (Microcenter has an excellent return policy) and instead get a 2400G (or even 3400G, but be careful as a motherboard BIOS update might be needed) which has an internal GPU.

I had no idea 😬 I have a graphics card, but will I need to purchase something else to get it to work? I currently have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC
The GTX 1050 should work for you. Just make sure it's installed in the top-most PCIe x16 slot (the one closest to the CPU) and that the monitor is connected to the appropriate ports on the GPU and not the ports on the motherboard.

If it's installed and still not working search for and go through a few guides on building PC's... like this one:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-build-a-pc,5867.html

and see if there's anything you left out.

Lastly, you can do as LFWG001 suggests.

EDIT add:
Here's another page for troubleshooting ideas:

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019
So I went back to micro center and exchanged the 1600 for a 3200g. Still having the same problem though. Was starting to think that maybe it needs a bios update, but the motherboard box has a “AMD RYZEN 3000 desktop ready” logo, indicating that it doesn’t require an update. Don’t think there’s even a way for me to even check if it needs an update without forking out more money since I can’t get the system booted without it

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
So I went back to micro center and exchanged the 1600 for a 3200g. Still having the same problem though. Was starting to think that maybe it needs a bios update, but the motherboard box has a “AMD RYZEN 3000 desktop ready” logo, indicating that it doesn’t require an update. Don’t think there’s even a way for me to even check if it needs an update without forking out more money since I can’t get the system booted without it

Take it into the Micro Center service center and let them put it together for you at a nominal fee. The pain stops when we do. The bottom is where we stop digging. Lol.