[SOLVED] Why is my RTX 3070 performing below expecations ?

Dec 23, 2020
I recently was lucky enough to purchase an RTX 3070 Twin edge from Zotac. At first, the card was performing worse than my previous gtx 980 with certain games but after using DDU and reinstalling windows I was able to get the performance to be better than it was on the 980.

However, the performance still isn't as good as benchmarks indicate it should be with my CPU.

Aside from the gpu I am working with:
CPU: i5 8400
RAM: 16 gb ddr4
1000 watt psu

To get more specific with the fps issues I barely hit 60 fps in GTA V which benchmarks that I have seen online indicate should be in the low 100s. Additionally, in Borderlands 3 I get about 10-15 fps lower than the benchmark indicates I should. I am not sure what is causing this issue as I have reinstalled windows and used DDU so any advice would be appreciated.

Normally I would just chalk this up to CPU bottlenecking but since these benchmarks are done with the CPU I have I am not sure what the issue is.

GTA V Benchmark:
https://www.fpsbenchmark.com/gta/i5-8400

Other Benchmarks:

Solution
Your results are pretty normal. GTA V was never very big on gpu resources, plus there's that 140fps(?) limitation of the RAGE Engine where it starts to stutter if you go above that.
Borderlands 3: that's it? Where's the problem there?

You have to take those video benchmarks with a grain of salt as they're going to be a best case scenario - if they're even honest for that matter.
You need matching hardware, the same software loadout, even the same Windows and bios settings - hell, even similar operating thermals. It doesn't take much to end up with different results.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
GTA V optimization is garbage on modern GPUs, I have a 3070 paired with R7 3700x and the fps is 90+ in the desert but drops to 60 in the city, this is caused by a strange GPU usage drop in the city area.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your results are pretty normal. GTA V was never very big on gpu resources, plus there's that 140fps(?) limitation of the RAGE Engine where it starts to stutter if you go above that.
Borderlands 3: that's it? Where's the problem there?

You have to take those video benchmarks with a grain of salt as they're going to be a best case scenario - if they're even honest for that matter.
You need matching hardware, the same software loadout, even the same Windows and bios settings - hell, even similar operating thermals. It doesn't take much to end up with different results.

Solution
Dec 23, 2020
I recently was lucky enough to purchase an RTX 3070 Twin edge oc from Zotac. At first, the card was performing worse than my previous gtx 980 with certain games but after using DDU and reinstalling windows I was able to get the performance to be better than it was on the 980.

However, the performance still isn't as good as benchmarks indicate it should be with my CPU.

Aside from the gpu I am working with:
CPU: i5 8400
RAM: 16 gb ddr4
1000 watt psu

To get more specific with the fps issues I barely hit 30 fps with DLSS on in cyberpunk and in fact, DLSS lowers the frame rate by a good five. In addition to this, I can barely scratch 60 on ghost recon wildlands on medium (which my old 980 was able to do) and most other games don't run all that well. I also get about 15-20 fps lower in borderlands 3 than the benchmark indicates I should be getting.

In addition to this, I have a friend with a different system, that has the exact same hardware with the exception of the GPU. He has a Radeon 5700 which is supposed to perform a good bit under 3070. However, in the built-in benchmark for the Red Dead Redemption 2, I typically get 10 fps lower than he does with the exception of the benchmark I did directly after resetting windows where I was able to get advertised speeds. Sometimes I get 30fps average on RDR2 and sometimes I get 50, and then there was that one time I was able to get 75 fps all with the exact same visual settings in-game.

I need help figuring out why my performance is so bad sometimes and fine others, and if I should return this card while I still have time.

Benchmarks:
https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070/intel-core-i5-8400-2-80ghz/

Many people with your setup or very similar 37/3800 paired with 3070-3080 are seeing 120fps on ultra @ 1080

Your 100 fps @1440 seems about right. Maybe turn up the settings to full and enjoy they game @ 100fps. Seems to be an issue that has been ongoing since the release of the 3080 with that game.

People are having better results with the previous generations of cards nad amd, not sure why that is perhaps the game or nvidia will be looking into this, but your complaint is very common and quite warranted.