[SOLVED] Why wont my computer boot? Please Help!

finlayj123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Hey, so recently I've run into some trouble with my computer, its a new-ish build only around a year or so at most old. Could really use some help/advice.
Here are its specs:

Mobo: Asus Strix z270
GPU: GTX 970 (recently replaced under warranty for a new card)
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K (Now using an Intel Core i3 9350KF)
Cooler: CorsairH100i V2
RAM: corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 2400mhz
SSD: Intel 480GB (not sure how old this is but it seems to still be working from my testing)
PSU: Thermaltake 875W (by far the oldest component)

Essentially, when the PSU is on, the GPU and Mobo lights come on as per usual, however when I press the power button to boot the PC I hear the PSU fan begin to spin up, however after maybe ~20 seconds it then spins down again, and stops; the cooler light doesn't come on, nor do any other fans or lights.
Having tested the CPU in a different motherboard, The same thing would happen. EXCEPT, when I removed the GPU from the system, upon power up, the cooler light would turn on, and as would the case fans and cooler fans, but still no visible evidence of booting on screen. (This also happens with the original mobo too)
The same thing happens when using the new CPU. PSU fan spins for a bit, but nothing else, and then if you take out the GPU everything works, but no visible boot.
I've also tried with a different PSU and had the same results, and am feeling $275 lighter (for the new cpu) and very confused.

TLDR: PC wont boot; PSU just makes some noise for a lil. If I take out the GPU and boot it, all the fans and lights will turn on and keep running but PC doesn't give a signal to screen.

Thanks so much for your help.

Okay, you said "PSU just makes some noise for a lil. If I take out the GPU and boot it, all the fans and lights will turn on and keep running but PC doesn't give a signal to screen." If you take out the GPU, what do you have the monitor attached to ? If it's the integrated graphics (IG), the i3 9350KF doesn't support integrated graphics. If you are not connecting the monitor to anything, I would reinstall the i5 6600K CPU, which does support integrated graphics and connect your monitor to the IG video port, with the discrete GTX 970 GPU removed. The fact your PC seems to boot without a discrete GPU, even after the discrete GPU was RMA'd, would lead me to think the problem could be your PSU, as a discrete GPU will draw a lot more power, which might be overwhelming a failing PSU.

Reactions: finlayj123

finlayj123

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Okay, you said "PSU just makes some noise for a lil. If I take out the GPU and boot it, all the fans and lights will turn on and keep running but PC doesn't give a signal to screen." If you take out the GPU, what do you have the monitor attached to ? If it's the integrated graphics (IG), the i3 9350KF doesn't support integrated graphics. If you are not connecting the monitor to anything, I would reinstall the i5 6600K CPU, which does support integrated graphics and connect your monitor to the IG video port, with the discrete GTX 970 GPU removed. The fact your PC seems to boot without a discrete GPU, even after the discrete GPU was RMA'd, would lead me to think the problem could be your PSU, as a discrete GPU will draw a lot more power, which might be overwhelming a failing PSU.
I tried reinstalling the original CPU instead of the i3 (which i now know is incompatible) No difference at all. I know for a fact the monitor and cable work fine, I reseated the RAM; nothing. The lights on the cooler and fans come on, but no signal.