[SOLVED] WiFi network adapter not working after switching GPUs ?

Apr 14, 2021
Essentially the title. My previous GPU (GTX770) died, so I upgraded to a GTX 1660 Super. After installing it, I couldn't get my WiFi adapter to be recognized. What could be the issue ?

Full PC Specs:

-> GPU: GTX 1660 Super
-> CPU: Intel i5- 4550
-> Motherboard: Asus B85 Vanguard
-> WiFi Network Adapter: TP-Link WN851ND
-> PSU: XFX PRO 650W

Thanks in advance for any help, and if there are any clarifications to be made let me know! :)

Solution
Also you may try uninstalling both devices via Device Manager, uninstalling their software/drivers, and then physically removing them. Reinstall one at a time, and the order in which you do so may make a difference with conflicts. Since adding the new gpu 2nd presented the problem, try installing it first and set up drivers, then add the wireless and set it up.

Ralston18

Titan
This wireless adapter?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/pci-adapter/tl-wn851nd/

What specific error messages or pop-up windows appear when recognition fails?

Is the computer's wired network adapter disabled?

Is the TP-Link wireless adapter appearing in Device Manager? (Ensure that "Show hidden devices" is checked via the View tab.)

Double check the wireless adapter's physical installation, antenna orientation etc..

Could be that the network adapter is simply not fully seated. Check that first.

Then manually download the applicable drivers via TP-Link's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

If no re-connection then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Also check the power supply to the card. Many such cards use more power that they can get from a PCIe slot, so you need to have a power supply cable from the PSU plugged into a card edge connector.Ythat may have become disconnected when working on the video card.

Also you may try uninstalling both devices via Device Manager, uninstalling their software/drivers, and then physically removing them. Reinstall one at a time, and the order in which you do so may make a difference with conflicts. Since adding the new gpu 2nd presented the problem, try installing it first and set up drivers, then add the wireless and set it up.

Solution