[SOLVED] Will a 550w PSU be enough for tri fan rtx 2070 Super?

Hunterkun

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
So first of let me share my PC's specifications:

• CPU: I5 8600K
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHZ
  • CPU cooler: 212 Cooler Master EVO
  • GPU: ROG STRIX 6GB OC edition
  • HDD: 1TB WD blue 7200rpm
  • SSD: Samsung Evo 860 500GB
PSU: Corsair TX 550w Gold Rated

Now to the question;
So I want to upgrade my gtx 1060 to a MSi RTX 2070 Super gaming X Trio but I am unsure whether or not my PSU can handle it since MSi's website specifies 650w as the recommended wattage. Thankful of any help I can get.

Cheers from Sweden

Solution
You're probably on a fine boundary. In most systems, the 2070 super could run on a good quality 550W (certainly not a bad quality one). But it leaves little room for overclocking or other upgrades

The 2070 super can pull 210W+ under gaming load, and the I5 8600K can theoretically pull up over 100W under heaviest of loads, but around 80W or so in gaming loads. So assume you have 300W used there, the TXM should have around 525W available on the 12V rail, so it's another 225W spare for any other components.

But the GPU and CPU can certainly pull more than that.

So depends how fine you want to walk that boundary, all I would say is they have those recommendations for a reason. I personally would stick with the recommendation as this...

mangaman

Honorable
Do I need that 100w headroom? Im on a pretty tight budget and chipping out those extra 130 quid would kind of hurt my 16 year old pocket :p

If you are on a tight budget, then why are you getting an MSI RTX 2070 Super? As liamisko said, 650w is the recommended PSU wattage from MSI. You can get a PSU with 750w or more, but you wont have much for overclocking.

If you can get an RTX 2070, it would be wise of you to get a PSU with more wattage.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You're probably on a fine boundary. In most systems, the 2070 super could run on a good quality 550W (certainly not a bad quality one). But it leaves little room for overclocking or other upgrades

The 2070 super can pull 210W+ under gaming load, and the I5 8600K can theoretically pull up over 100W under heaviest of loads, but around 80W or so in gaming loads. So assume you have 300W used there, the TXM should have around 525W available on the 12V rail, so it's another 225W spare for any other components.

But the GPU and CPU can certainly pull more than that.

So depends how fine you want to walk that boundary, all I would say is they have those recommendations for a reason. I personally would stick with the recommendation as this usually also gives you some headroom too.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS