Apr 21, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hi, I wonder if a Seasonic ss400es works with a Msi rx570 armor 4gb. The psu has seven or eight years.

On the other hand, I have to put an adapter and I found differents options, molex to 8 pin, sata to 8 pin and 6 pin to 8 pin, but I don't know what is the best for the gpu.
Thanks!

Mi rig:
i5 3550
b75m-d3h
2x4gb ddr3
2 hd
1 ssd
Blu ray rw

Solution
This is an extremely old model (and only a 360W PSU in modern terms). This is a very bad idea. Even if the PSU was fine, adapters of this type have an obnoxious tendency to cause fires.

The only adapter that should be used in a situation like this is one that connects your wallet to a new, modern PSU not one manufactured 10 years ago on a 15-year-old design.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This is an extremely old model (and only a 360W PSU in modern terms). This is a very bad idea. Even if the PSU was fine, adapters of this type have an obnoxious tendency to cause fires.

The only adapter that should be used in a situation like this is one that connects your wallet to a new, modern PSU not one manufactured 10 years ago on a 15-year-old design.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Apr 21, 2020

So, it's dangerous for the adapter, overall, or because the psu is old? The other option is a gtx 1650 (it has 6 pin conector) but is more expensive, and actually I have a little budget. Thanks for answer.

Apr 21, 2020
I'm looking for an upgrade to my old gtx 650ti and I wonder which is the best option:

Asrock rx570 4gb ($150)
Msi armor rx 570 4gb ($155)
Zotac GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 OC ($208)
Zotac GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB GDDR6 Twin Fan ($233)

I wonder if my psu (Seasonic ss400es) works with a rx570. The nvidia cards consume less watts but are more expensive and I'm on a budget. The psu has seven or eight years.

On the other hand, If I buy the msi rx570, I have to put an adapter and I found differents options, molex to 8 pin, sata to 8 pin and 6 pin to 8 pin, but I don't know what is the best for that the gpu.

Mi rig:
i5 3550
b75m-d3h
2x4gb ddr3
2 hd
1 ssd
Blu ray rw

Thanks!

I'm looking for an upgrade to my old gtx 650ti and I wonder which is the best option:

Asrock rx570 4gb ($150)
Msi armor rx 570 4gb ($155)
Zotac GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 OC ($208)
Zotac GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB GDDR6 Twin Fan ($233)

I wonder if my psu (Seasonic ss400es) works with a rx570. The nvidia cards consume less watts but are more expensive and I'm on a budget. The psu has seven or eight years.

On the other hand, If I buy the msi rx570, I have to put an adapter and I found differents options, molex to 8 pin, sata to 8 pin and 6 pin to 8 pin, but I don't know what is the best for that the gpu.

Mi rig:
i5 3550
b75m-d3h
2x4gb ddr3
2 hd
1 ssd
Blu ray rw

Thanks!
Hi,i have a R9 380 and I had real problems with my suspicious 500W psu.Seasonic makes amazing PSUs,but make sure you have more than enough wattage for the whole system,since the recommended wattage for the gpu is only like to run the gpu,so you MIGHT have some problems with bootloops,also some black screen.For NVIDIA,you said it your self,less watts but higher price.For adapters i used sata to 8pin since my old 500W psu didnt have any gpu power connectors,but it is always better to use the psu than adapters,since the adapters can be faulty and not deliver the full power.

My advice is to buy a zotac gtx 1650 super since its more power efficient than the rx570,and dont trust me on this,but i think it MAYBE be better,but i dont know.Just know that there might be psu problems coming your way if you buy rx570,and the new drivers have been terrible on almost every new-ish gpu,full with black screens.I experienced it my self,and its no joke at all.Litteraly i think that in the last 2 weeks,there have been 50,000 reports of this problem just on this site.

Many people say that this maybe a windows problem,since there cant be that many issues on both nvidia and amds side in like a timespan of 15 days.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Hi, I have a Seasonic ss400es and I wanna buy the Msi rx570 armor 4gb. The psu has seven or eight years, but works fine. I made differents calculations and the estimated wattage is 345 or 332.

The thing is, I have to put an adapter and I found differents options, molex to 8 pin, sata to 8 pin and 6 pin to 8 pin, but I don't know what is the best for the gpu.
Thanks!

Mi rig:
i5 3550
b75m-d3h
2x4gb ddr3
2 hd
1 ssd
Blu ray rw

I calculate the load wattage of my pc with the rx570 and it gave me 332w. That's fine with my psu?
that is just the bare minimum you need to have.Would suggest a 600W with a 80+ gold certification.600W for future upgrades so you dont have to buy a new PSU.
Here's a option:https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12iii-bronze-series-ssr-650gb3-650w/p/N82E16817151228?Description=Seasonic 600W&cm_re=Seasonic_600W--17-151-228--Product&quicklink=true

Would suggest the 650W version one

For me the total is 75$ with shipping

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I calculate the load wattage of my pc with the rx570 and it gave me 332w. That's fine with my psu?

No. With a PSU that had 360W of +12V power a decade ago when it was new? That's a very poor idea, even before using an adapter, which is a hard no by itself.

You can rephrase the same question a million times and I'm not giving a different answer. You're free to ignore my advice and risk your components, but I'm not going to bless what I feel is an irresponsible decision, no matter how many times you ask it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi, I have a Seasonic ss400es and I wanna buy the Msi rx570 armor 4gb. The psu has seven or eight years, but works fine. I made differents calculations and the estimated wattage is 345 or 332.

The thing is, I have to put an adapter and I found differents options, molex to 8 pin, sata to 8 pin and 6 pin to 8 pin, but I don't know what is the best for the gpu.
Thanks!

Mi rig:
i5 3550
b75m-d3h
2x4gb ddr3
2 hd
1 ssd
Blu ray rw

The answer doesn't change just because you don't like the answer.

Are how are you measuring "works fine?" What's are your measurements for ripple? How are you evaluating the PSU's transient response? What voltage regulation are you getting under testing? If you can't answer this, you don't actually know how your PSU is functioning beyond "not dead."

Apr 21, 2020
that is just the bare minimum you need to have.Would suggest a 600W with a 80+ gold certification.600W for future upgrades so you dont have to buy a new PSU.
Here's a option:https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12iii-bronze-series-ssr-650gb3-650w/p/N82E16817151228?Description=Seasonic 600W&cm_re=Seasonic_600W--17-151-228--Product&quicklink=true

Would suggest the 650W version one

For me the total is 75$ with shipping
It is a graeat psu. The problem is that only the shipping to my country is 99$ and the vat is 29$. In a store here I found these options:
Gamemax vp500 - 500w 80+ 50$
Redragon gcps001- 500w 80+ bronce 60$
Aerocool kcas 500w 80+ bronce 60$

bignastyid

Titan
It is a graeat psu. The problem is that only the shipping to my country is 99$ and the vat is 29$. In a store here I found these options:
Gamemax vp500 - 500w 80+ 50$
Redragon gcps001- 500w 80+ bronce 60$
Aerocool kcas 500w 80+ bronce 60$
It's actually not a great PSU at all. Old design and not well built. It says Seasonic but built by a sub contractor with subpar parts. Easily the worst PSUs with Seasonic's name on it.

None of those 3 listed are good.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Your existing PSU should not be used for any GPU update. It is completely inadequate for the task, despite the wattage rating.

None of the following adapters should ever be used:
  • PCIe 6-pin to PCIe 8-pin
  • Molex to PCIe
  • SATA to PCIe
Those are fire hazards.

This has already all been explained.

The only acceptable adapter is 2x6-pin to single-8-pin, but that's not something you can use.

Do not expect to use your existing PSU with an add-in video card that requires a PCIe connector. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

EDIT: read the first link in my sig, it is a MUST READ when it comes to power supplies. A PSU is NOT something you can afford to cut costs on, as it is a safety device that protects the rest of your system!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
No. With a PSU that had 360W of +12V power a decade ago when it was new? That's a very poor idea, even before using an adapter, which is a hard no by itself.

You can rephrase the same question a million times and I'm not giving a different answer. You're free to ignore my advice and risk your components, but I'm not going to bless what I feel is an irresponsible decision, no matter how many times you ask it.
I know what you mean, but in my country the prices are really high, almost two times more than in the US. For example, a psu that other user recommended cost me 132$ and the price in newegg is 70$. Can you give a list of economic psu models that works well with a rx570 so I can search them here in Argentina. I'm not looking to upgrade in the future or do oc. Thanks for your time I really apreciate it

Apr 21, 2020
The essence of it is that the cost of a safe PSU should take priority over paying for a graphics card. If you cannot afford the PSU needed, then you cannot afford to get the GPU.
It's a good advice, now I'm searching psu models that works with the rx570, but it's hard in my country, because I can not find goods brands here right now and there really expensives

TRENDING THREADS