Question Will all my fans be recognized and separately controlled if I plug them all into a fan hub?

Feb 28, 2024
Will all my fans be recognized and separately controlled if I plug them all into a fan hub? The hub is powered by my power supply and then the hub is connected to one fan header. All my fans will be in the hub. Will my computer be able to separate control all of them and register them separately or will they all be considered as one fan and be all at the same rpm?

Sorry If my explanation is bad

Will all my fans be recognized and separately controlled if I plug them all into a fan hub? The hub is powered by my power supply and then the hub is connected to one fan header. All my fans will be in the hub. Will my computer be able to separate control all of them and register them separately or will they all be considered as one fan and be all at the same rpm?

One motherboard connection means they will all be considered 1 fan. To control them separately you would need a hub which plugs into a usb2 socket on your motherboard and where they give you software to individually control them.

Feb 28, 2024

With a fan hub, you can only control all of them together, which means there will only be one speed for all, which is an issue for smaller, and larger fans together, because larger fans will be weighed down and will be locked to a slower rpm.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You do not need separate control of each fan. For most situations it is desirable to have all the case ventilation fans run at matching speeds. Now, certainly you do NOT want the CPU cooler fans to do the same thing as the case vent fans, but that is why there is a separate CPU_FAN header for that purpose.

There are some situations in which you do need to have two GROUPS of fans that run differently, although not common. That is done by having two Hubs, each connected to different mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers, and then setting each of those headers to different performance. IF you think you need that, post back here with much more detail so we can advise how.

Every fan sends back to its host header a speed signal consisting of a stream of pulses to count. But the Header can only count such a stream from ONE fan. So when you use a Hub or a Splitter, it sends back to the host header the speed of only ONE of its fans, and speeds of all other fans on that Hub or Splitter are ignored - you will not see them anywhere. You are supposed to assume that all the "other fans" in that group are doing the same thing. And they WILL IF they are the SAME fan. IF they are different fans, their speeds will be different because all fans on a Hub receive exactly the same control signals. Those signals are NOT specific speeds; they are more like a "% of Full Speed" signal.

The older fan design has THREE wires from it and a connector on the cable end with 3 holes. Their speed is controlled only by varying the Voltage supplied to the fan From Pin #2. The new fan design has a fourth wire and hole for connecting, so it is called a 4-pin fan or PWM Fan. Mobo fan headers now all have 4 pins, and in BIOS Setup for each fan header you get to choose an option called MODE. To ensure the header uses the correct signal system for your fan, each header should be set to Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) for 3-pin fans, or to PWM Mode for 4-pin fans.

To use a HUB for a group of fans guided by a single fan header, the header MUST be configured to use the new PWM Mode of control. Further, ALL the fans involved MUST be of the new 4-pin PWM design. Controlling several older 3-pin fans can be done only with a different device, a SPLITTER, and a header sending out signals in the Voltage Control Mode.

If you really need individual control of each fan AND ability to see the speed of each, you need much more than a Hub. You need a more complex device called a Fan Controller, and a specific type even. You would need one with MANY controllers inside one box, each able to operate separately with individual settings. You need one port or output socket for EACH fan, each of those controlled by its own Controller chip. Such a device comletely takes over all control of its fans, removing them from any connection to a mobo fan header. It gets all power for its operations and the fans' from the PSU via a SATA power output. Normally it is used with a free software utility supplied with the Controller that runs under Windows and uses a cable connection from a mobo USB2 header to the Controller to communicate. That utility is how you set all Controller options, and how you can read fan speeds. Be AWARE that there are many multi-fan Controllers of a similar type that do NOT have multiple controller chips for its individual ports. So if you are looking for that individual control feature you need to watch the specs carefully.