Question Will changing my minimum processor state to 100% damage my CPU?

Spiderbait375

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I want to increase my CPU performance, so I want to know if it will damage my CPU if I want to turn the minimum processor state to 100%??

All changing 'minimum processor state' to 100% does is affect the power policy for reducing the CPU to lower power and performance states (lower frequency & voltage, parking cores and idling various parts of the processor if your system can) during LOW useage scenarios. It does nothing to make the processor any faster, or the system seem faster, since it doesn't increase processor performance during HIGH useage periods which is when you need it.

Even if it doesn't idle back to lower power and performance state all it is doing is running at the same voltage and frequency it would have, but doing nothing. That means it will consume more power than it would have at a lower P-State, but still not as much as when working really hard so it will still run cooler than working hard.

And since it's only 'seeing' the same voltage it normally sees, that's really a non-issue. And if you have inadequate cooling then you'd definitely know it when it's working hard...not when it's doing nothing even if not at a lowered P-State.

Reactions: retroforlife

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Increased thermal load, absolutely zero performance gain. You may actually see a decrease in performance if you don't have adequate cooling because the proc may end up thermal throttling to protect itself. There's also the surround components like the VRM's to consider, particularly if you have a water cooler, as they don't provide enough secondary cooling.

If that isn't enough, consider this: the extra heat that chip would be dumping out, even with good cooling, has to go somewhere... That's usually the room in which you & your system are located. That translates to higher ambient temperatures & depending on your locale & the cost of maintaining a comfortable setting by whatever available climate control, it's likely not worth it.

Insufficient cooling probably will reduce the lifetime of your processor, however.

TRENDING THREADS