Question Will gaming while the laptop is kept on bed dangerous as it generates a lot of heat?

Sep 23, 2019
I just bought an asus laptop about a month back and i have been gaming on it quite a bit and as i don't have a table or anything i use it on my bed and it generates a lot of heat. Will this deteriorate my laptop's performance/parts?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It is unlikely that any damage has been done at all, or would be done, really.

It's still not a good idea to use a laptop on any surface where it "sinks in" and has its air intake and exhaust blocked.

If you're using a laptop on a bed where you have nothing but sheets on and its air intake and exhaust are not blocked by same you have no problem. If you're using it on a bed where it sinks in to a comforter, say, that will cause it to run hotter than when air flow is unrestricted.

As @13thmonkey noted, all modern processors will throttle, if necessary, if they are coming anywhere near to actual overheating. You have to be running hot (and I do mean hot) for a given processor almost constantly for it to have any appreciable impact on service life.

I have seen the interiors of machines that were so dirty and dust clogged that I would have thought they never could have cooled to a degree where they'd be functional, but they did. Modern processors are far from "delicate flowers" and will survive a very long time even if they are running quite warm, but still at or below the temperature that is designated as the maximum normal operating temperature.

Sep 23, 2019
It is unlikely that any damage has been done at all, or would be done, really.

It's still not a good idea to use a laptop on any surface where it "sinks in" and has its air intake and exhaust blocked.

If you're using a laptop on a bed where you have nothing but sheets on and its air intake and exhaust are not blocked by same you have no problem. If you're using it on a bed where it sinks in to a comforter, say, that will cause it to run hotter than when air flow is unrestricted.

As @13thmonkey noted, all modern processors will throttle, if necessary, if they are coming anywhere near to actual overheating. You have to be running hot (and I do mean hot) for a given processor almost constantly for it to have any appreciable impact on service life.

I have seen the interiors of machines that were so dirty and dust clogged that I would have thought they never could have cooled to a degree where they'd be functional, but they did. Modern processors are far from "delicate flowers" and will survive a very long time even if they are running quite warm, but still at or below the temperature that is designated as the maximum normal operating temperature.
Thank you so much for your detailed answer, i really appreciate it. To be on the safer side, i have got myself a bed table to use laptop so i think it'll be okay now. But, thanks a lot.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
To be on the safer side, i have got myself a bed table to use laptop

You're welcome. This is the wisest course of action. I use a lap desk when using my laptop in my lap, but that's not so much worrying about cooling it as keeping it from heating me.

Since "bedding conditions" can change radically over the course of the seasons using a tray table of some sort is definitely your best bet.