[SOLVED] Will routing CPU cable under graphics card cause any problem?

Anmol_10

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
My motherboard covers the cutout for 8pin CPU connector cable in my cabinet. So I am left with two options either to route it over graphics card or under the graphics card. I decided to route it under the graphics card for better cable management and looks but I wanted to know if it will cause any problem.
Images - View: https://imgur.com/a/7mbZcX3

Specs- Ryzen 5 2600 cpu, Msi B450M pro vdh plus mobo, antec vp500 psu, galax gtx 1660ti gpu.

Solution
I would not expect any problems either way.

However "under" has the implication and probably the requirement that the GPU be removed in order to access the cable.

Most likely cosmetics do not matter. Accessibility to the cable does or may matter.

I vote for over based on "accessibility".

There certainly could be valid reasons for "under".

Overall if the current cable routing works the question is likely moot.

Look for other posts and comments.

Ralston18

Titan

However "under" has the implication and probably the requirement that the GPU be removed in order to access the cable.

Most likely cosmetics do not matter. Accessibility to the cable does or may matter.

Solution

Anmol_10

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017

There is a lot of space in case of "under" to rove the cable without removing GPU. I won't be removing it very often (maybe only when cleaning pc). I just wanted to know wether it will cause any short circuit or anything like that on my motherboard.

Ralston18

Titan
Should be fine.

Just inspect cable first to ensure that there is no bare metal showing through the insulation. No kinks or hard twists.

No gouges or splits in the insulation.

And be very sure that the cable does not get crushed, pinched, or wedged in somewhere when you do install it.