[SOLVED] will this ram work for my old system?

Solution
Hi INFRAREDbread (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

The way to discover if your RAM is suitable and stable is to select a single kit the size and frequency that your Motherboard and CPU supports. The kit you choose should be from the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Your MB supports up to 2666Mhz however we need to also know your CPU?

Here is your QVL for i5/i7/i9: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-PRO-VD#support-mem-3
Choose the QVL that corresponds to your CPU.
If you want a recommendation then state the brand you prefer and what they are intended for? general purpose use, Gaming AAA. etc.
Hi INFRAREDbread (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

The way to discover if your RAM is suitable and stable is to select a single kit the size and frequency that your Motherboard and CPU supports. The kit you choose should be from the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Your MB supports up to 2666Mhz however we need to also know your CPU?

Here is your QVL for i5/i7/i9: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-PRO-VD#support-mem-3
Choose the QVL that corresponds to your CPU.
If you want a recommendation then state the brand you prefer and what they are intended for? general purpose use, Gaming AAA. etc.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 15, 2021
i am using a i5 8400.... btw if i was not clear i already have the corsair 8gb ram and i would like to expand my memory....my budget is tight so i cant get another corsair lpx now since they have almost doubled in price since i last bought it like 2 years ago but the hyperx( i linked above )is available at a very low price from a local store here...so i would like to know if that will be compatible with the rest of my setup.
i would be using it for gaming mostly
thank you

Yes I understand you have a single RAM module and wish to change to another brand with 8GB at 2400Mhz for whatever reason.
It seems your intention is to add the other kit to what you already have, then you are taking a risk. It is never a good idea to mix kits especially from differing manufacturers.
Buy a single kit the size you need selected at 2666Mhz from the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work. Keep what you have as spares.

Jul 15, 2021
ah i see ....what do you think will happen if i go with the same make and brand/freq but only different size like a 8gb and a 4gb module together...is that still considered 'mixing'?

ah i see ....what do you think will happen if i go with the same make and brand/freq but only different size like a 8gb and a 4gb module together...is that still considered 'mixing'?

Even kits with exactly the same spec can mismatch.
RAM manufacturers selectively Binn modules into kits ensuring matched Latency.
This is not guaranteed when mixing kits and usually causes issue. When you mix kits you take a risk, nothing damaging, just that the system may not boot and even if it does you will have problems in the future like a sudden OS freeze or an unexpected shutdown.
When purchasing RAM it's best to choose a single kit the size and frequency your MB and CPU support and selected from the MB QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.