parama3500

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
I've a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1660 Ti, so obviously the GPU is the bottleneck here.

Probably cause I messed up the thermal paste when installing the stock CPU cooler, I'm getting 50° C idle temps and 95 ° C on load. (just one try on Cinebench R20)

I undervolted the CPU by 0.0625 V and it worked; reduced temps by 10 ° C.

This PC is mostly for gaming, so given that the GPU is the bottleneck, would that undervolting reduce my gaming performance?

EDIT:
It boosts to 4.2GHz while gaming even after unervolting.

Last edited:
Solution
The bottleneck is quite small and it'll hardly affect anything unless every frames counts for you. I would advice you to repaste it. 95C even on stock cooler is high. Repaste it then undervolt. As for your question, it wont. In my experience, if you supply too low voltage to the cpu, the pc will just crash instead of performing worse.

poorbugger

Distinguished
The bottleneck is quite small and it'll hardly affect anything unless every frames counts for you. I would advice you to repaste it. 95C even on stock cooler is high. Repaste it then undervolt. As for your question, it wont. In my experience, if you supply too low voltage to the cpu, the pc will just crash instead of performing worse.

Solution
I would not use the term bottleneck with that pc. The 3600 and 1660Ti are a very good combination for 1080p gaming. It’s possible some games will be gpu limited but it’s also possible some esports games will be cpu limited.

Really the only thing you need to worry about is the cpu temperature. If using the stock cooler look to upgrade it but also make sure you have good case airflow.

parama3500

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017

Thanks.
Yeah I should look up for that, btw got any decent thermal paste recommendations?

parama3500

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
I would not use the term bottleneck with that pc. The 3600 and 1660Ti are a very good combination for 1080p gaming. It’s possible some games will be gpu limited but it’s also possible some esports games will be cpu limited.

Really the only thing you need to worry about is the cpu temperature. If using the stock cooler look to upgrade it but also make sure you have good case airflow.

That's nice to hear, I was always worried seeing 99% GPU and just 40-60% CPU usage in osd.
I've the Corsair 460X with only the 3 front intake fans, so yeah I can add an exhaust for better airflow.

That's nice to hear, I was always worried seeing 99% GPU and just 40-60% CPU usage in osd.
I've the Corsair 460X with only the 3 front intake fans, so yeah I can add an exhaust for better airflow.
With a 99% gpu load you can say your system is ably to fully utilise your 1660Ti. Af for case fans you absolutely should have a least 1 exhaust fan to actively remove hot air from the case.

dimtodim

Reputable
I've a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1660 Ti, so obviously the GPU is the bottleneck here.

Probably cause I messed up the thermal paste when installing the stock CPU cooler, I'm getting 50° C idle temps and 95 ° C on load. (just one try on Cinebench R20)

I undervolted the CPU by 0.0625 V and it worked; reduced temps by 10 ° C.

This PC is mostly for gaming, so given that the GPU is the bottleneck, would that undervolting reduce my gaming performance?

EDIT:
It boosts to 4.2GHz while gaming even after unervolting.
i think with stock cooler is good themp...better is find good cooler thermal paste cant help u too much...