[SOLVED] Will upgrading to a gaming wifi router improve my ping on mobile games?

Jamry

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
I've got no problems when playing on my PC (since it's connected via Internet Cable) but when playing mobile games I experience spiking on my ping plenty of times. My current router at home is a Tenda Nova MW6, our internet speed is 100mbps. Also, there are plenty of people who uses the internet here more or less than 10 people, pretty sure they're not heavy users since from what I observed they mostly browse Facebook and play Mobile Legends or COD:M. But it's frustrating on my part since I play games (wildrift, pokemon unite, etc.) via our wifi here on my phone and it's frustrating when my ping spikes to 200+. Would purchasing a gaming router solely for me and my brother improve our ping for mobile gaming? I never experience high ping on PC (Apex Legends, Splitgate, etc.) so I am pretty sure the ISP is not the problem. What do you guys think?

Solution
I've got no problems when playing on my PC (since it's connected via Internet Cable) but when playing mobile games I experience spiking on my ping plenty of times. My current router at home is a Tenda Nova MW6, our internet speed is 100mbps. Also, there are plenty of people who uses the internet here more or less than 10 people, pretty sure they're not heavy users since from what I observed they mostly browse Facebook and play Mobile Legends or COD:M. But it's frustrating on my part since I play games (wildrift, pokemon unite, etc.) via our wifi here on my phone and it's frustrating when my ping spikes to 200+. Would purchasing a gaming router solely for me and my brother improve our ping for mobile gaming? I never experience high...
I've got no problems when playing on my PC (since it's connected via Internet Cable) but when playing mobile games I experience spiking on my ping plenty of times. My current router at home is a Tenda Nova MW6, our internet speed is 100mbps. Also, there are plenty of people who uses the internet here more or less than 10 people, pretty sure they're not heavy users since from what I observed they mostly browse Facebook and play Mobile Legends or COD:M. But it's frustrating on my part since I play games (wildrift, pokemon unite, etc.) via our wifi here on my phone and it's frustrating when my ping spikes to 200+. Would purchasing a gaming router solely for me and my brother improve our ping for mobile gaming? I never experience high ping on PC (Apex Legends, Splitgate, etc.) so I am pretty sure the ISP is not the problem. What do you guys think?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If your current router is old enough, you could change the router and see improved performance in transfering the signal. I changed my HG8245H to HG8245H5, while both router are giving the same download and upload, the old router (6 yrs i guess) always giving me ping spike, must restart the router itself and it will be fixed, for some hours and it'll start spiking again, so i decided to request my isp CS to change the router just a week ago, and when i tested it to just play games and do thing as it is, no restarting router, it does indeed giving a very solid performance in fps games, low ping and better response time. up until now i didn't restart it yet, unlike before i must at least restart it once per day. I did reinstall windows, use different adapter (even a good one), and many stuffs but didnt change the fact it is the router. so yeah, depends on the devices you use.

i also use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 for primary and secondary dns for the standard router settings, and it does give a solid stable lower ping compared to my old router.

Reactions: Jamry
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
I would not expect that purchasing a separate gaming router will help. And actually, as I understand it all, those routers may not really offer any meaningful improvements.

Routers are regulated for power. Primary differences being offered features and functions.

The problems are more likely a result of 1) using wireless, and 2) a congested wireless environment - too many users.

If anything, a second router could make things worse. A multiple router environment for home use is generally unnecessary, unneeded, and going to be much more complicated.

Plus all of the network traffic still needs to go through some common device: modem or main router for example.

What will provide the most "gain" is to use wired connectivity as much as possible and on fixed (not mobile) devices.

If adding wired connections is not feasible then powerline adapters may be a viable solution between direct wired connectivity and wireless connectivity. Performance varies with the nature and condition of the electrical circuits in the residence.

Reactions: Jamry and Koekieezz
Short answer is because your PC works your problem is the wifi and the "gaming" feature has nothing to do with wifi you will see no change. Your problem is wifi interference both with device inside your house and devices from your neighbors wifi.

The so called gaming feature is mostly marketing. All it really is is a preconfigued QoS setting to try to favor games when you overload your internet connection. You could likely do a better job of configuring the QoS yourself.
First for QoS to do anything at all you have to be overloading your internet connection. Since your PC works this means you have no overloaded it and the "gaming" qos will not do anything because all traffic is being sent without delays.
Next let say you were overloading your internet and you get one of these gaming routers. They will actually make the problem worse for you. The router does not consider what you are doing on your phone to be a game. It looks like any other web browser traffic and since it is encrypted it can't even tell if it tried.
These gaming routers have a very small list of the more popular games and favor traffic on those. It is mostly games that use ports other than web browser ports......ie real games :)

There is very little you can do when you use a device you can not plug a ethernet cable into. I guess you could get another router you could plug into a ethernet cable and then place that very close to the phone.

Reactions: Jamry

Jamry

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
Sorry for taking too long. Honestly, I don't know much about what im doing. To be honest this is what it looks like right now at my family's house. Home Netowork-ish The rooftop router, all I did was plug and play if it's worth taking note off. What if I do this, upgrade my switch for more ports and connect mesh nodes via LAN cable would it work? Would the whole mesh thing still work? (Like automatically changing nodes.

You are always better off cabling any remote nodes. A mesh system is a repeater with mulitple wifi hops between the device and the internet connection. If you use cables for the connection to the switch you eliminate 1 router hop. This will greatly reduce the wifi interference inside your house because now there is only the wifi connection to the end device. Having multiple wifi radio hops in the path may be your problem. Each of the wifi hops can get packet damage which will increase latency/ ping time.

The mesh system actually does not do the handoff even though they pretend it does. Your end device is in full control of what it connects to and when it switches. It will not make any difference if you have the mesh nodes connected via wire or repeater.