[SOLVED] Will Windows Defender continue receiving updates, once Windows 10 is no longer supported?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
When Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10, will Windows Defender continue receiving updates, if it's installed on a laptop that uses Windows 10?

If Windows Defender is independent software, and the support of Windows Defender is independent of the support for Windows 10, this means that even if the OS (Windows 10) Windows Defender is installed on, is unsupported, Windows Defender, as independent software, will continue receiving updates, right?

I still don't want to move to Windows 11, but i don't want to lose my anti-virus protection. This is why I'm asking this question.

Solution
When Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10, will Windows Defender continue receiving updates, if it's installed on a laptop that uses Windows 10?
Probably.

Win 7 still does.
But past performance does not dictate future success.

Only Microsoft knows. And even they do not know precisely what they will do several years from now.

If Windows Defender is independent software, and the support of Windows Defender is independent of the support for Windows 10, this means that even if the OS (Windows 10) Windows Defender is installed on, is unsupported, Windows Defender, as independent software, will continue receiving updates, right?

I still don't want to move to Windows 11, but i don't want to lose my anti-virus protection. This is why I'm asking this question.
Ask MSFT.
What is going to happen in 2/3yrs is just a guess.

Windows Defender is part of the OS itself now. Even then, Microsoft has discontinued updates to Office 365 on discontinued versions of Windows, despite that not being integrated in the OS.

Basically it's safe to assume once the OS goes EOL, Microsoft's not going to touch it anymore for any of its products.