Win XP wont load, hangs at splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I've been trying to fix my brothers computer for days now. It was working fine with Win XP Pro and I installed a windows update, restarted and now it wont load past the splash screen (loading bar just keeps moving). I've tried safe mode and that wouldnt work either. It just hangs up on the commands. I've also tried doing windows recovery with the Windows XP Home cd and that didn't work as well. I'm now trying recovery console and just did fixboot and fixmbr. I haven't rebooted yet because its still in the process of chkdsk /r. If this doesn't work, I dont know what else to try. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

Well I rebooted and its still doing the samething. Please help!!!

Try booting into safe mode with command prompt. If you can get to the prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. This will open the system restore points, and you can roll back to before you did the windows update.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I've tried to boot in safe mode with command prompt, but it just stops while loading at multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

If I use the Windows XP cd and press R to go into Windows Recovery, that looks like cmd prompt, or is it different? Thank you for taking your time to helping me out. I really hope we can fix this...

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Its on my brothers HP laptop... His battery is pretty much shot, hes been using it while its plugged in for a long time now. I'm thinking about opening it up and seeing if I can take the battery off of the motherboard for a bit. I did the windows repair but that was before I formatted and re-installed Windows. I can try the repair again.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Ok, there was only a single 1 GB mem chip. I took that out and tried booting it up. It still hangs up at the Windows loading screen (loading bar still moves), and I've tried loading in Safe Mode with command prompt. It still stops at mup.sys

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Alright, I typed that in and this is what came up.

Total identified scan was successful.

Total identified windows install: 1
[1]:C:\Windows

Add installation to boot list (Yes/No/All): Y
(I put Y or A here?)
Enter load identifier: 1
Enter OS load options:
?

Not sure if I enter 1 for OS load option but I tried it then it just went back to c:\windows

Put a Y at the first prompt.

The name of the load identifier, is the name of your operating system. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

The OS load options. These are pretty standard options:
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If it's a laptop, it doesn't have a power supply. It'll run off the battery or AC adapter.

When you say you 'did the repair,' how did you do it?
What kind (manufacturer) of hard drive is in the laptop?

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I did the Windows XP repair feature
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

The HD is a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 100GB ATA

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I let the memtest run for an entire day, then my brother turned the computer off so I didnt get to see the results. I did check it 6 hrs into the scan and no errors came up.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I burned the Seatools DOS ISO image and loaded it, first thing that came up is the License agreement. For some reason I can't use my mouse or keyboard to click on I Accecpt. Think the ISO burn was bad and I should burn another?

Status
Not open for further replies.