steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

When I turn my computer on I get a message saying "A startup program
wincmapp.exe requires your approval" My two options are to 1. Allow or 2.
Block. Should I allow this program? or will blocking it prevent other
programs from working? All help will be appreciated.

Steve

Malke

Steve wrote:

> When I turn my computer on I get a message saying "A startup program
> wincmapp.exe requires your approval" My two options are to 1. Allow
> or 2.
> Block. Should I allow this program? or will blocking it prevent other
> programs from working? All help will be appreciated.
>
> Steve

Googling for "wincmapp.exe" brings no hits, which is suspicious.
Continue blocking the program and scan your computer for viruses and
malware:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke Wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> -
> When I turn my computer on I get a message saying "A startup program
> wincmapp.exe requires your approval" My two options are to 1. Allow
> or 2.
> Block. Should I allow this program? or will blocking it prevent
> other
> programs from working? All help will be appreciated.
>
> Steve-
>
> Googling for "wincmapp.exe" brings no hits, which is suspicious.
> Continue blocking the program and scan your computer for viruses and
> malwa
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I am new to this site -- but I *_DO_* know that for some odd reason,
you need it. I found that file in my computers program files
(C:\Program Files), in a folder of the same name. In the folder was a
"Uninstall" icon right nest to it. It may/may not have a small picture
of a donkey on it. I then uninstalled it and found out something
interesting.

Afterwards, I tried to go into "My Computer" and call up my "C:\"
drive, and it kept opening the search bar on me!! I then did a
restore, and now everything works correctly.

To the quick -- I think your computer needs this program in order to be
able to "Map-out" your "C:\" drive. Without the file -- your computer
can't "see" your "C:\" drive -- or at least, can't map it out for you.
If you go up to the address bar and type "C:\" (without quotes of
course) -- you can pull it up, but you shouldn't have to do it manually
like that.

If when you are starting up your computer, and your
firewall/anti-spyware program is asking if you want this file to access
the internet -- I would deny the access. It doesn't need to access the
i-net.

--
mflintjer

Malke

mflintjer wrote:

> Malke Wrote:
>> Steve wrote:
>> -
>> When I turn my computer on I get a message saying "A startup program
>> wincmapp.exe requires your approval" My two options are to 1. Allow
>> or 2.
>> Block. Should I allow this program? or will blocking it prevent
>> other
>> programs from working? All help will be appreciated.

>> Googling for "wincmapp.exe" brings no hits, which is suspicious.
>> Continue blocking the program and scan your computer for viruses and
>> malwa
>
> I am new to this site -- but I *_DO_* know that for some odd reason,
> you need it. I found that file in my computers program files
> (C:\Program Files), in a folder of the same name. In the folder was a
> "Uninstall" icon right nest to it. It may/may not have a small
> picture
> of a donkey on it. I then uninstalled it and found out something
> interesting.
(snip)

This is not a Windows file. If you have it on your computer, you should
scan for malware. Googling for "wincmapp.exe" today brings up
references to the file in malware-removal forums. A good way to check
if a file is a system file is to right-click it and look at its
Properties. In most cases - particularly if you have XP - the Version
will show that the file belongs to Microsoft and there will be a
description of what the file does.

Malke