Sep 21, 2018
hey guys...
I have an Acer nitro V laptop with i5-8300H and having 8gb ram along with a GTX 1060.
My friends having low specs than mine got windows 10, 1903 may 2019 feature update way too early while I'm still stuck in the previous version.
I got a dialog box saying that my device isn't compatible. It says,

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time.

So I know it's not something regarding my specs and I wanna know what is causing this delay..
please help, thanks

Solution
MIcrosoft have 100's of millions of computers running Win 10, it has to arrange to update all of them, so its taking its time.

NOrmally they push it out to computers that came with win 10 installed, since that list alone is now 4 years worth of computers, it will take time.

I just cheated and used the Upgrade assistant to get it a few days after release

Colif

Win 11 Master
MIcrosoft have 100's of millions of computers running Win 10, it has to arrange to update all of them, so its taking its time.

NOrmally they push it out to computers that came with win 10 installed, since that list alone is now 4 years worth of computers, it will take time.

I just cheated and used the Upgrade assistant to get it a few days after release

Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just to add to the historical record, the machine I'm typing from had the notice the OP mentions for several months while its hardware twin that's my partner's machine updated several months in advance of mine.

Windows 10 Feature Updates have been, since day one, rolled out in cohorts. The earliest ones tend to be the smallest ones and the telemetry watched the most closely during that phase in case of unanticipated issues once the update hits "the wild" out there. People just don't seem to get that there are untold millions of machines never designed for or certified for Windows 10 that are running it and it is absolutely impossible for Microsoft to even try to put together any in-house testing that could encompass all that hardware. That was part of the reason for the Insider Program.

As the rollout continues, the cohorts get larger and the time spacing between them gets shorter.

The one huge exception to this was the rollout of Version 1809, which went so badly in the earliest cohorts that the rollout as a whole was slowed to a glacial pace and a very great many machines skipped it entirely, going directly from 1803 to 1903.

So far the rollout of 1903 has been quite smooth compared to both 1809 and even several of the other earlier Feature Updates that, while not as wild and wooly in their early days as 1809, still had their share of burps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
last 2 weeks I helped 2 people running 1507. My only response is clean install as there are many changes between how windows 10 updates itself since then. New PC with 1507, why?

I have helped people with fixing problems with version updates since 2016 so I seen the problems. 1903 is the least problematic version update I have had to deal with, it could because all the problem devices are still on 1803.

Microsoft have expanded the number of versions it supports to 3, so anyone on 1803 still isn't being forced to update as swiftly as they were in the past. It is only once 1909 is out that 1803 will be the danger zone.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I was shocked when I purchased my last two laptops (now at least 2 years ago) that they arrived with 1507 on them. I imagine that for certain really old NOS machines it still happens.

I've just always forced the Feature Update to the latest and there have been times where multiple versions were jumped. The Feature Updates, for all practical intents and purposes, replace Windows 10 in its entirety anyway.

But, were I to get a brand new machine with an ancient version of Windows 10 now, I would definitely choose to do a completely clean install instead. The advantage of getting rid of what I consider "bloatware" that comes from all of the manufacturers these days is easily worth the time and effort (which isn't much time or effort, really).