Question Windows 10 black screen- Audio still present

Durppz

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
For the past few weeks my PC will black screen while playing games, It happens with every game I play. I will still have audio and I can still talk to friends through Discord with the black screen. I have to restart my computer to fix it, but I crash very often, about once every 30 minutes. In event viewer it seems like this is the error for the crash

"The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
CMDre 0000004c 00003ffc ffffffff 00000007 ffffffff

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

This error has only shown up a handful of times, looking through the log the only error I get is from me force restarting my computer after the black screen. I will attempt to list everything I have tried to fix this issue.

-Uninstallation of GPU drivers using DDU and fresh installing new ones
-Restarting graphics drivers using CTRL-WIN-SHIFT-B
-Underclocking GPU -500 MHz
-Windows Memory diagnostic tool
-Using one RAM stick at a time, swapping the two I have
-Uninstalling ASUS Armory crate, Aurora, etc.
-Updating BIOS to latest release
-Changing power management mode in NVIDIA control panel to maximum performance

There is probably more but this issue has gone on for over a month so I may be missing some. To me it seems like my GPU may be the culprit but I am trying to avoid having to buy a new one. List of my PC specs below

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 MHz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
ASUS KO RTX 3070 GAMING OC
VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold

I appreciate any help I can get with this issue, please let me know if there is any other information that is needed. Thank you

*EDIT* I also want to note that I have never crashed unless a game is running, I have monitored temps of my system and they are all normal

Durppz

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
UPDATE: Checked the thermal paste on my GPU and it was non-existent. Seems like my GPU was throttling itself to stay at 70C. Reapplied thermal paste and now temps get to 81C, but there is no more crashing

Sep 8, 2024
I believe I have the same issue. I just posted a thread about it as well. If I get a reply or am able to fix it I will come back to this post.