Question Windows 10 on laptop not running games on dedicated GPU (NVIDIA)

Jul 4, 2021
So basically my laptop, when booting in windows 10 sometimes doesn't 'enable' my dedicated GPU to run games. Not a single game (or any program for that matter) will run on it (instead they'll run on the far inferior integrated graphics), even when they're set to use the dedicated NVIDIA GPU in the control panel.
The weird part is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. So it seems like on boot there's a random chance that that boot session will allow the GPU to run or not.

When it's not working, windows still detects and recognizes the card, it just doesn't run anything on it. To me it seems like sometimes something fails at boot time concerning the GPU, but I don't know what and honestly I don't know how I would go about looking for the origin of this problem. Are there somewhere logs I could take a look at?

Thanks!

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ 2.5GHz
Ram: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the laptop in use? Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You can use CPU-Z>Mainboard to show you the BIOS version. Following that you can use your laptop's model/serial number to locate the support page for your laptop and see if you have BIOS updates pending. As for your GPU, have you tried using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reinstalling said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You can source the latest drivers meant for your GPU from Nvidia's support page. Version for your OS?