Windows 10 pre-stage profile files

mrnine324

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hello, hoping to get a quick answer. I work as a PC Tech and we are upgrading computers to win 10. We backup user profile files, including some app data areas, and then image to Win 10. We then put those files back on PC, but we don't move the files into places until user signs in first time so their profile folder is created. Is there a way to pre-stage their profile files, including my documents, downloads, and app data so that when they first log in, everything is already in the right place? I am admin, and know their exact profile name that will be created, as we use CAC (smart card) login and have the database listing every username.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I looked in my C:\Users\ folder and found a "Default" folder. I assume this is what is copied to all new user accounts when they are created. If you look in the C:\Users\Default\ folder, you will see everything that you asked for in your question (Documents, Downloads, AppData, etc) and more.

I also looked it up and found an answer. Read the answer on this page: https://superuser.com/questions/710862/what-is-this-default-profile

I tried it out on my test machine. I added a shortcut to the C:\Users\Default\Desktop\ and then I created a new account and logged in. The shortcut was on the desktop, ready to go.

Make sure hidden files and folders are turned on, then access the folder at at C:\Users\Default\

I hope this is what you are looking for. Of course you will need to test this for yourself to make sure it works. (Start small, with a few files in the Documents folder and a Desktop shortcut then create a new user account.)
Clipboard.jpg

mrnine324

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

That would almost work, except I don't want every possible user that happens to log into one computer to get the same files and folders. I would want the files and folders to ONLY automatically be on this one specific users computer when they first log in. This is a domain computer as well, btw. Thank you for that help though, it is good to know.