Aug 17, 2020
I have been trying since November to update to the 20h2 version from 1909. The current version I have installed is 1909 OS Build 18363.1441. My specs are:

16GB DDR4 RAM
B350M Bazooka
Radeon Rx 580
Ryzen 5 1600 6-core processor

Whenever I have tried to update in the past, I have gotten error code 0xc1900101. I googled this and found it could be a multitude of problems. I ran Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) , System File Checker (SFC) , ChkDsk, and the Update Assistant and came back with no errors until I tried to update again and found that the problem was in Amdkmpfd.Sys. I looked into it and found that it was the chipset drivers causing the issue, so I installed the latest version for my specs from AMD's site, however I still couldn't update.

Now I am getting daily update reminders from Microsoft telling me that 1909 is about to reach end-of-life. Every time I try to update, it restarts, the fans start spinning very fast, then the window for the update shrinks and it boots back into windows.

What can I do to finally fix this?

Aug 17, 2020
was PC logged in when you put usb in? I should have said that part, don't boot from USB.
it should act as an updater if PC is on and logged in when you use it.
it was logged in and on, however when I ran the setup, all it did was say "checking for updates" then it started installing windows

Aug 17, 2020
Its a version update to 20H2 so it could look like its installing windows as thats what it does. Did it ask you to make new users? it should keep the users you had before and all the info and just replace windows.
so i finished the update and it seems to have somehow rolled me BACK to 1903 instead of forward to 1909...