[SOLVED] Windows 10 wont let me update?

gmikkonen

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
I tried to play MW2.0. A new video game and it wouldnt let me play because my version of windows was old. Version 1903 - I tried to update and got an error code - 0x80080005 - I try to run the troubleshooter for windows update and I get error 0x80070490. Need some help here, Im a hardware guy and not really sure where to start. It wont let me get windows 11 without repairing this first. I have my original copy of windows on USB as well. help thanks.

Solution
From my experience, once Wiodows gets into this territory, its better to clean install. You can try to troubleshoot how and which system files are compromised and what changes have been made to them, but usually it takes ages to figure out and then some. Sometimes in the end it remains unfixable due to some file corruption that is irreversible, or just won't work even when fixed.

This usually happens when you, install a lot of programs and either keep them dormant or abandon them without cleaning residues. Can happen due to other factors as well, but usually that is a common cause, specially when pirated softwares are in the play.

Its not unfixable, but the time and effort that needs to be invested and the eventual probability of...
From my experience, once Wiodows gets into this territory, its better to clean install. You can try to troubleshoot how and which system files are compromised and what changes have been made to them, but usually it takes ages to figure out and then some. Sometimes in the end it remains unfixable due to some file corruption that is irreversible, or just won't work even when fixed.

This usually happens when you, install a lot of programs and either keep them dormant or abandon them without cleaning residues. Can happen due to other factors as well, but usually that is a common cause, specially when pirated softwares are in the play.

Its not unfixable, but the time and effort that needs to be invested and the eventual probability of recovery is sometimes just not worth it.

Having said that, if you still want to get into repairing, start with running Malwarebytes in safe mode, and see if it gets you anywhere. Then run the sfc and dism commands followed by recovery program from advanced troubleshooting in start up mode.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

gmikkonen

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
Scanned with malawarebytes in safemode - Found 7 iterations of "defects" with the Restoro App I downloaded yesterday - quarantined all. Restoro is deleted from the PC. Ran sfc.exe 0 faults found. sfc /scannow in CMD.exe with admin.

Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess - with my LEGIT copy of windows usb. Said it was repaired...

Same error code as original wont update.

gmikkonen

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
Something about "Secure Boot is not setup on my PC"

This article is intended for users who are not able to upgrade to Windows 11 because their PC is not currently Secure Boot capable. If you are unfamiliar with this level of technical detail, we recommend that you consult your PC manufacturer’s support information for more instructions specific to your device.
Secure Boot is an important security feature designed to prevent malicious software from loading when your PC starts up (boots). Most modern PCs are capable of Secure Boot, but in some instances, there may be settings that cause the PC to appear to not be capable of Secure Boot. These settings can be changed in the PC firmware. Firmware, often called BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), is the software that starts up before Windows when you first turn on your PC.
To access these settings, you can consult your PC manufacturer’s documentation or follow these instructions: Run Settings > Update & Security > Recovery and select Restart now under Advanced startup. From the next screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart to make changes.
To change these settings, you will need to switch the PC boot mode from one enabled as “Legacy” BIOS (also known as “CSM” Mode) to UEFI/BIOS (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). In some cases, there are options to enable both UEFI and Legacy/CSM. If so, you will need to choose for UEFI to be the first or only option. If you are unsure how to make any necessary changes to enable the UEFI/BIOS, we recommend that you check your PC manufacturer’s support information on their website. Here are a few links to information from some PC manufacturers to help get you started:
??