[SOLVED] Windows 11 Home without being tied to Microsoft account

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
I've read it's possible to install Windows 11 via boot medium USB/DVD and you can actually run it with some limitations like the watermark and some customization.

I intend to create a local account NOT a Microsoft user account. And I will go as far as having the ethernet cable unplugged during Windows 11 installation.

But I'd like to get the full version and I understand you can get it via Microsoft App Store.

Naturally I will have purchase it via an Microsoft Account so it's hooked to my account that's fine. But what happens to my local account? Will it turn into a Microsoft account? Cant I just purchase the retail connect it and then sign off?

I rather have a retail than an OEM. Want the flexibility not the restrictions regarding local account.

Solution
On my Win 10 and 11 systems, there are 3x user accounts.

1 MS account, strictly for license activation and in the exceedingly rare case when I need something from the MS Store
1 Local admin. Install things, and anything the Standard user cannot do.
1 Standard user, the daily driver, what I'm using right now.

The last time I logged into the MS account on this Win 11 system was....I can't remember when.

USAFRet

Titan
On my Win 10 and 11 systems, there are 3x user accounts.

1 MS account, strictly for license activation and in the exceedingly rare case when I need something from the MS Store
1 Local admin. Install things, and anything the Standard user cannot do.
1 Standard user, the daily driver, what I'm using right now.

The last time I logged into the MS account on this Win 11 system was....I can't remember when.

Reactions: Iamsotired
Solution

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
After purchasing the valid Windows license and getting it activated after the install, simply create another couple of user accounts.

No need to use only the MS account log in.

If I deleted the account MS account what would happen? Perhaps I am being too anal regarding the user folder size?

Oh btw did it give you an option to get an retail or oem?

USAFRet

Titan
If I deleted the account MS account what would happen? Perhaps I am being too anal regarding the user folder size?

Oh btw did it give you an option to get an retail or oem?
No need to "delete" the MS account...just don't use it.

Retail or OEM?
User purchased OEM is actually a long dead concept, unless you buy a prebuilt system.

For a valid OS that you buy, there is no "OEM". No matter what some advertiser may say.

Perhaps I am being too anal regarding the user folder size?
The /User/ folder for my MS account user is currently 470MB. Trivially small.
I had to log in to that account just to check this.

It is absolutely not anything to worry about.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
No need to "delete" the MS account...just don't use it.

Retail or OEM?
User purchased OEM is actually a long dead concept, unless you buy a prebuilt system.

For a valid OS that you buy, there is no "OEM". No matter what some advertiser may say.

The /User/ folder for my MS account user is currently 470MB. Trivially small.
I had to log in to that account just to check this.

It is absolutely not anything to worry about.

Thank you :) I'll do what you did.

rsmith7

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
I've just clean-installed the Beta 22621 release (now flagged as 22H2 RTM). When it asked me to sign in to my MS account, I just entered "fake@fake.com" with password "fake". The response was "Oops" and it then asked for a local account instead. When the build was complete and I was happy with it, I just added my MS account in the "email and accounts" section, so that apps have access (I need it with MS Office products) but I don't have to logon with it.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
I've just clean-installed the Beta 22621 release (now flagged as 22H2 RTM). When it asked me to sign in to my MS account, I just entered "fake@fake.com" with password "fake". The response was "Oops" and it then asked for a local account instead. When the build was complete and I was happy with it, I just added my MS account in the "email and accounts" section, so that apps have access (I need it with MS Office products) but I don't have to logon with it.

That's cool. It will retain the local account even after signing on.