jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Where would the dividing tab be placed when Windows 12 arrives on the scene? Would it be 10th or 11th gen? Or would CPUs further up too be ineligible for the OS? This notion duly regards AMD processors and their particular architectures too.
Would more than 2 cores be required and at what speed? I know this is all purely fiction and guesswork at this point and that we may never be certain until further up in time; however, I suppose this is the fun, the intrigue, the major captivation of it. Everybody's free to write down what they think, provide glimmering guesses and ponder assuredly through this consummate intrigue of specification which has undoubtedly wound itself through many minds and innumerable points of view, leaving the imagination breathless and pondering within the taunting futuristic aspects of its conception.

Additionally, what do you think about RAM requirements and such regarding other components?

I would be glad to know what you think.

Do write up and

Thank you!

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
At this time, totally unknown.

The limits for Win 11 weren't generally known until just before it was released.
Imagine it's so well optimized that a Pentium II at 450 MHz with only MMX boots it up under 10 seconds. Joking tone aside, I do think that they can do a lot in terms of performance and software stability, yet I think they will not, because the way software is made has deteriorated through time with many minds being unable to conceive any real smart and compact and logical structure and instead fixing errors in big structures which are as unstable as a house of leaves...

If they don't screw up the original core transported through the Windows NTs, there's a chance the new implementations and changes do not squall up the experience completely and we may not get a blue or black screen while running Notepad and drivers and having 8 Gigabytes of RAM under our belt.

It is what it is. I still think we should be happy when they 'change something to the corners of windows,' or 'remove seconds from the clock.' It is just the idea of something new that makes you happy, not the underlining knowledge it is trivia and we've been running in a loop for the last 20 years.

New (overW10) requirements for W11 were already implemented in HW 5-10 years earlier so to predict what requirements forW12 might be in couple of years look what's new in HW now. Except some microcode updates for security reasons new minimum requirements could raise RAM and storage space increase.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Last estimates is mid 2025 for consumer W12 (or whatever they call it) with insider versions some time in 2024,
2025... Seems so sudden that we should revert back in time about 20 years and remember the good ol' Pentium 4, Windows XP days. When software was a little better and synonymous applications as those of today still ran at a good speed. It was an interesting time for hardware, we were on the crest of Dual Core processors and all that. And the typical RAM in 2005 was around 1 GB, later on jumping to about 2 GB in 2006 for the enthusiast systems. I wonder where we'll be in the next 20 years. 👽

Reactions: CountMike
2025... Seems so sudden that we should revert back in time about 20 years and remember the good ol' Pentium 4, Windows XP days. When software was a little better and synonymous applications as those of today still ran at a good speed. It was an interesting time for hardware, we were on the crest of Dual Core processors and all that. And the typical RAM in 2005 was around 1 GB, later on jumping to about 2 GB in 2006 for the enthusiast systems. I wonder where we'll be in the next 20 years. 👽
I remember days way earlier than Win XP, axtually well earlier than PC Something like Tinex-Sinclair with 2MB of RAM later on upgraded to 16MB and among other tings playing flight simulator with graphics made up of letters and numbers but also programing CNC machines with it using audio I/O from which programs were loaded from cassette player.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I remember days way earlier than Win XP, axtually well earlier than PC Something like Tinex-Sinclair with 2MB of RAM later on upgraded to 16MB and among other tings playing flight simulator with graphics made up of letters and numbers but also programing CNC machines with it using audio I/O from which programs were loaded from cassette player.
The 386SX and the 387 to replace the need of a 386DX (incl. math coprocessor)... And Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and Borland C++; those machines were quite powerful though; they were literally monsters in comparison to 8 bit systems. On them you could do all the things you can on current computers, except for some particular computations and animating and gaming at real life graphics settings. Programmers were much better in those days. Today we have cards with 16000 cores which get only 50 FPS on some games. Truth be told, software is more important than hardware, because if a piece of software is very bad it may not run well even on incredibly fast hardware; yet, if it is written well it could run nicely with minimal resources. For example, Crysis 1 did not at any one point use more than 2 GB RAM and we all know how great its graphics were. Xpand Rally had incredible graphics and would run well on a GeForce2 and 256 MB RAM. (I've run both games personally).

We exist in a world of incredibly fast hardware and incredibly bad software, currently. And before many years the hardware was incredibly slow, yet the software - much better.

Reactions: CountMike