[SOLVED] Windows 7 KB4524752 Forcing Upgrade To 10?

Oct 21, 2019
I work as an MSP with multiple clients most of which are still running managed Windows 7 PCs, and a fair number of them are running legacy software or are set up with peripheral equipment in some fashion that requires the Win 7 platform. Just today we noticed one of our own conference Win 7 Pro PCs ran the latest patch Tuesday KB4524752 update and upgraded automatically from 7 to 10 with no input whatsoever from us, and my own personal PC at home which also runs Pro attempted but failed to run the upgrade, likely only due to my C drive being close to full.

I've performed a fair deal of research into this and while I can find the culprit update I can't find any official confirmation from Microsoft that this is the case nor am I currently seeing any third party articles that explicitly state having seen this in the wild, the closest I've found is this article denoting the registry for GWX showing up and looking exactly the infamous version from a few years ago that automatically upgraded user machines.

Article link here

With that I'm mostly curious if anyone else here has noticed anything similar? The article does a solid job of explaining what needs to be done in order to avoid it and we're taking measures with our RMM software to prevent this taking place on our client machines but for those that perhaps don't have a robust RMM agent in place for whatever reason it sounds like it'll be a nightmare having to go around from machine to machine making sure the update isn't being installed or if it has, making completely certain it isn't going to install 10 on it's own.

Solution
Microsoft forces windows 10 upgrades in order to get everyone on windows 10.
It is supposed to be a notification and in the notification the is a don'ty remind again button.
Try and remove that update
I feel that this is not right to just do things without our permission
Oct 21, 2019
Everything I've read points to that but I'm concerned since a company PC distinctly upgraded itself to 10 from 7 and my own home PC tried to do the same, both times without anyone telling it to do so

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Microsoft forces windows 10 upgrades in order to get everyone on windows 10.
It is supposed to be a notification and in the notification the is a don'ty remind again button.
Try and remove that update
I feel that this is not right to just do things without our permission

Reactions: LeighPing
Solution
Nov 13, 2019
This is eerily similar to what happened to me but I got no warning. I'm not sure what happened, my own question is up top about "losing files overnight", but after installing the latest win 7 monthly security rollup (not your same one) everything was fine for two days and on the third day this morning my desktop had been rearranged, ALL photo files, document files, videos, music, bookmarks, everything was toast and gone. I have the GWX stop 10 update on my laptop but something ramrodded something through overnight. I wasn't intent on digging around to see what was installed, I just hightailed to a system restore and got the heck out of Dodge. Ugh.

Reactions: LeighPing