Question Windows 8.1 CPU system issue.

Krillin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
So back in July I had installed an SSD on my 5 year old ASUS ROG G70jm. I begun to notice that once I had gotten everything installed and download the right drivers things would be good. But I noticed at times that the cpu system process will go up to 15-20 percent at random times and upon investing I found out that ntoskrnl.exe was the culprit. I thought it was a bad driver at first so I had downloaded a driver for my internal WiFi adapter and for awhile that seemed to have fixed it but then it would show up for once a week if not more. So I then thought it could be maybe my SSD needed a firmware update but that would mean using crucial storage executive and I don't wan't to use that buggy software. So what can I do to stop this from happening?

PS. I still use my older 7200RPM WD black HD as storage inside my laptop, it still has windows 8.1 installed on it. Could that be it?

I guess I don't see the problem, yet. As you have probably found, ntoskrnl handles memory management and other device services, so while a driver could be the problem, it could just be your computer doing normal functions. What wifi card does your computer have? Old wifi cards can hog services, in addition to your network, no matter what driver you are using.

Krillin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
I guess I don't see the problem, yet. As you have probably found, ntoskrnl handles memory management and other device services, so while a driver could be the problem, it could just be your computer doing normal functions. What wifi card does your computer have? Old wifi cards can hog services, in addition to your network, no matter what driver you are using.

Well mine is a Broadcom Wifi Card. I also created this as a post on Bleeping computer too.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/706204/random-ntoskrnlexe-scan/

While I don't use Crucial Storage Executive all the time, I have used it several times on several different machines and never had a problem with it. The updates listed in the latest firmware don't seem to have a huge impact on what you are seeing:
  • Corrected status response in the event of unsuccessful or aborted Sanitize command.
  • Improved compatibility with certain 3rd party TCG software.
  • Prevent potential loss of PSID during firmware update.
Three main things I noticed from your other thread are Chrome. skydrive.exe and XBoxStat.exe.
  1. Skydrive is an old name for OneDrive, which tells me that it's just sitting there eating up resources, so go ahead an uninstall it.
  2. Possibly the same for XBoxStat.exe. If you use it, fine. But it you don't, go ahead and uninstall, as it will free up a little bit.
  3. Chrome. When run ran Speccy you were running tabs in Chrome and 8 tabs in Firefox. Browsers windows can use lots of software resources, even your video card. It isn't a question of your laptop being able to handle this, just to say that speed won't be 100% while running all these pages.

I am not a member over at bleepingcomputers, so if you want any extra input, let me know here.

Krillin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
While I don't use Crucial Storage Executive all the time, I have used it several times on several different machines and never had a problem with it. The updates listed in the latest firmware don't seem to have a huge impact on what you are seeing:
  • Corrected status response in the event of unsuccessful or aborted Sanitize command.
  • Improved compatibility with certain 3rd party TCG software.
  • Prevent potential loss of PSID during firmware update.
Three main things I noticed from your other thread are Chrome. skydrive.exe and XBoxStat.exe.
  1. Skydrive is an old name for OneDrive, which tells me that it's just sitting there eating up resources, so go ahead an uninstall it.
  2. Possibly the same for XBoxStat.exe. If you use it, fine. But it you don't, go ahead and uninstall, as it will free up a little bit.
  3. Chrome. When run ran Speccy you were running tabs in Chrome and 8 tabs in Firefox. Browsers windows can use lots of software resources, even your video card. It isn't a question of your laptop being able to handle this, just to say that speed won't be 100% while running all these pages.
I am not a member over at bleepingcomputers, so if you want any extra input, let me know here.

Apparently that skydrive is just left over code or something since when I try to find it, it just comes up as Onedrive. XboxStat is for my 360 controllers I game on the laptop as well.

Krillin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
So this is how it goes I have it then a few days it goes awhile and then it will come up again. Is it just a windows update causing this? Should I bit the bullet and run the SSD firmware and see if that helps?

Krillin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
Okay here is the situation I have a Crucial MX500 250GB SSD as my boot drive for mt OS. I use my old WD Black 1tb as storage for my games and other big applications. My old WD Black has my old windows installed partition installed on it as a backup.

There are moments where the CPU system process will go up to 15-20 percent at random times. I have tried finding what the cause for this is. I have downloaded drivers, tried guides on the internet, (links below) and just updated my SSD firmware which didn't seem to do much. Again this happens randomly, it doesn't happen all the time.

I'm now beginning to believe that it could be my the OS on my old HDD being the culprit. So any idea how to delete windows from my HDD since I don't use it on the HDD anymore?

https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/125...-causing-high-cpu-or-disk-usage-how-to-fix-it
https://windowsreport.com/ntoskrnl-exe-high-cpu-disk-usage/