Windows 8 to Support Native ISO and VHD Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]runswindows95[/nom]This is handy considering I use ISO's to install a lot of my programs. Maybe I might just stick with my XP system till 8 is launched.[/citation]
lol windows XP fail, thats like saying yeah I think im gonna stick with my windows 3.1 till something with less of a footprint comes out.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009

Skipping over Windows 7 might be a good idea for anyone who is happy with windows XP, seems to me there will be many new and useful features in Windows 8

Personally, I am done with windows XP...

mikeangs2004

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I know when I change partitions on a dual boot system (Ubuntu and Windows) the GRUB gets corrupted. Will this VHD and image mounting thing affect this GRUB? I am not sure if Windows 8 will address this realm of issues. Also which HDD should you install the boot loader (Ubuntu HDD or Windows HDD)? I install it onto the Ubuntu HDD under advanced installation. This way Windows Backup works correctly if I boot to Windows w/o using GRUB.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Firehead2k[/nom]unless they get support for all the other image formats as well , this is just a half-***ed attempt.[/citation]
The problem is that pretty much all of your other formats are not formalized standards in any way.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]lol windows XP fail, thats like saying yeah I think im gonna stick with my windows 3.1 till something with less of a footprint comes out.[/citation]

o no, it couldn't be that someone just doesn't like windows vista or 7, and it sure isnt the fact that xp still runs perfectly fine.

i have more problems with the 2 win 7 pcs than my xp machine that hasn't been formated in 2-3 years and survived 6 hard drive failures.

i'm hoping that with win 8, ms addresses all my complaints, but we all know that will never happen.

G

these comments are making me laugh... don't like the ribbon - hide it... sticking with xp - it's insecure and more than a decade old... happy computing

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Firehead2k[/nom]unless they get support for all the other image formats as well , this is just a half-***ed attempt.[/citation]

BIN/CUE and IMG files are treated the same as ISO by Microsoft. All of their existing tools work just fine with them. If you really think some other proprietary image format is important and needs recognition, you're delusional.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Windows 7 already supports mounting and booting VHD files, granted it isn't nearly as convenient. You have to open up Computer Management and then go to Disk Management in order to mount them. I'm glad they're making this easier and adding iso support, but this should have been added to Windows a long time ago. Even Mac OSX has had built in disc image mounting and tools for ages.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dioxholster[/nom]haha too late, barely anyone uses discs now. and i hate the stupid ribbon! sticking with 7.[/citation]

Disk images can be used to digitally distribute software.

Most Mac OS X software u can download is packaged inside disk images (.dmg).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS