Question Windows continuously reboots on new built PC

Aug 2, 2024
Hello everyone,

I recently build a new PC and tried to install Windows 11 on it using a USB flash drive (using windows installation media). At the beginning, I could not install Windows because of continuous BSODs with several different error codes on them. I ran Memtest on both RAM sticks and one of them seemed to be faulty. I tried to run the system with only one RAM stick and the PC although it seemed to work just fine, it started rebooting without a BSOD this time. Reboots became more and more often while I was trying to download programs (Discord, Spotify, even some Windows Updates). And I would like to ask: What are the probabilities that the other RAM is faulty too (or if one RAM only cannot operate alone)? Also, if the other RAM stick is not faulty, what could cause these reboots?

PC Specs:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 7700x

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 Gaming OC rev. 2.0

Motherboard:
MSI Pro B650-S WIFI

RAM:
Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (2x16) DDR5 6000MHz

SSD:
Western Digital SN770 SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 4.0

CPU Fan:
Arctic Freezer 36

PSU:
Seasonic G12 GC 750W 80 Plus Gold

Case:
Kolink Observatory HF Mesh

Aug 2, 2024
What is the full, specific model number of your memory? Are you attempting to overclock anything?

How hot is your CPU at idle and under load? That seems to be an underwhelming cooler for that CPU.
Model of memory: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 (2x16GB) 6000MHz (KF560C36BBEK2-32)

The PC does this even when it is not under load. I cannot go to the point that the CPU goes under load. At idle the temperature is maximum 60.

Aug 2, 2024
But why does the PC reboot while it does not reach above 70 degrees? Does the system understand that it may go in very high temperature level and it shuts itself down to prevent this? Also, from your experience, do you think that another part may be faulty?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Which Memtest tool did you use?

You can also remove the 3060 and use the iGPU (7000 series Ryzen now have integrated video controllers) to see if that helps.

What you are looking at is to isolate the problem.

Modern memory is unlikely to be bad (not impossible though). Make sure it is seated fully in the memory slot. Your memory, if installed in pairs, should be in the second and fourth slots.

How old is your PSU?

Last, have you removed the CPU from the socket and inspected the socket for any bent/damaged/missing pins?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
But why does the PC reboot while it does not reach above 70 degrees? Does the system understand that it may go in very high temperature level and it shuts itself down to prevent this? Also, from your experience, do you think that another part may be faulty?
If it goes too high, too fast it will shutdown. You may only be seeing the lower temperature briefly before the failure occurs. Do you have the OEM cooler that may have come with the CPU?

Aug 2, 2024
Which Memtest tool did you use?

You can also remove the 3060 and use the iGPU (7000 series Ryzen now have integrated video controllers) to see if that helps.

What you are looking at is to isolate the problem.

Modern memory is unlikely to be bad (not impossible though). Make sure it is seated fully in the memory slot. Your memory, if installed in pairs, should be in the second and fourth slots.

How old is your PSU?

Last, have you removed the CPU from the socket and inspected the socket for any bent/damaged/missing pins?
I used the Memtest86 tool.

I already removed the 3060. For a while it seemed to be better but when a game was downloading, the system rebooted again.

Memory was in 2nd and 4th slots. I found out that 1 of the memories is faulty using the memtest tool and used the other memory on the 2nd slot. Maybe the other RAM stick is faulty too(?).

PSU is as new as it can be, used it first time 1 week ago.

The pins of the CPU are on the motherboard and do not seem to be bent or something.

Also, I tried overloading the PC by opening many YouTube tabs playing a video in Chrome and it did that without a problem. The system reboots on unreasonable moments. For example when I turn it on and type the password and Discord is opening on startup, the system reboots. When I am downloading League of Legends from the client, I am downloading it for 2-3 mins and then the system reboots again. Those were just 2 examples of course it is generally happening in different moments.

Last edited: