richardunn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Tried all the basic stuff, let me run through whats going on.

I have an 2tb nvme with windows. Wanted a clean installation, so I decided to first clone that nvme onto a HDD so I can boot from that if something goes wrong.

Cloning the HDD worked, but it wasnt able to boot. Couldnt figure it out so I just went ahead with the windows clean installation thinking it would be fine.

After running the clean installation off my 2tb nvme, it wouldnt restart saying that I needed to insert a recovery usb or boot from a different disk.

Tried running a recovery usb, but it just boots for a second, flashes the windows logo and then restarts infinitely. I tried the usb on other computers which boot into it fine no problem.

I have an old 200gb nvme that had an old windows on it, so I took out the 2 tb nvme and put that in to boot windows (there is only one nvme place).

Tried fixing the bcd info for the clone HDD so I could try booting from that and see whats going on with the 2tb nvme.

I can not get the HDD to independently boot. However, somehow I was able to make it so I can boot the HDD through the 200gb nvme...

Image: 'bcdedit' after booting into cloned HDD through 200gb nvme
bcdedit.png

Image: Disk 1 = cloned HDD, Disk 2 = 200gb nvme with old windows installed
disks.png

Image: When trying to boot directly from cloned HDD
IMG-20210927-091844.jpg

Thanks if you made it this far in the post

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
AB350-Gaming Gigabyte
Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666 2x8Gb
Windows 10 Pro
Radeon RX550
Sabrent Rocket Q 2 Tb

Any other info you think could be useful?
This should be enough :D

This is my method on clean installing windows (don't connect the pc to internet while installing windows):
- Update the mobo bios to the latest, go back to bios after update and load optimized, disable csm.

- Download windows .iso instead of media creation installation, use google chrome or internet download manager

- Download the latest amd chipset driver

- Use rufus to burn the .iso into flashdrive, make sure it is GPT and UEFI(non csm).

- After rufus finished, unzip the amd chipset driver, copy the folder into the just...
Tried all the basic stuff, let me run through whats going on.

I have an 2tb nvme with windows. Wanted a clean installation, so I decided to first clone that nvme onto a HDD so I can boot from that if something goes wrong.

Cloning the HDD worked, but it wasnt able to boot. Couldnt figure it out so I just went ahead with the windows clean installation thinking it would be fine.

After running the clean installation off my 2tb nvme, it wouldnt restart saying that I needed to insert a recovery usb or boot from a different disk.

Tried running a recovery usb, but it just boots for a second, flashes the windows logo and then restarts infinitely. I tried the usb on other computers which boot into it fine no problem.

I have an old 200gb nvme that had an old windows on it, so I took out the 2 tb nvme and put that in to boot windows (there is only one nvme place).

Tried fixing the bcd info for the clone HDD so I could try booting from that and see whats going on with the 2tb nvme.

I can not get the HDD to independently boot. However, somehow I was able to make it so I can boot the HDD through the 200gb nvme...

Image: 'bcdedit' after booting into cloned HDD through 200gb nvme
bcdedit.png

Image: Disk 1 = cloned HDD, Disk 2 = 200gb nvme with old windows installed
disks.png

Image: When trying to boot directly from cloned HDD
IMG-20210927-091844.jpg

Thanks if you made it this far in the post
What are the system specs in details?

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
AB350-Gaming Gigabyte
Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666 2x8Gb
Windows 10 Pro
Radeon RX550
Sabrent Rocket Q 2 Tb

Any other info you think could be useful?

This is my method on clean installing windows (don't connect the pc to internet while installing windows):
- Update the mobo bios to the latest, go back to bios after update and load optimized, disable csm.

- Download windows .iso instead of media creation installation, use google chrome or internet download manager

- Use rufus to burn the .iso into flashdrive, make sure it is GPT and UEFI(non csm).

- After rufus finished, unzip the amd chipset driver, copy the folder into the just created windows installation flashdrive

- go to bios and set boot option 1 to UEFI: Flashdrive name or UEFI: flashdrive name Partition 1

- go install as usual, then choose custom, delete all the partition in the ssd you're about to install, and left it unallocated space/partition, then click on that 1 partition (because all partition is deleted and now you only have 1 partition on your ssd), then click next, and let the install finished.

- after installing windows and finished the OOBE, install amd chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced plan. then you're free to install the rest of the drivers.

*if you want to make a separate partition for windows and data, just substract the capacity the data partition - the os partition (EX: you want to make 256gb of os only, so 1.8Tb - 257gb, and use the unallocated 257gb of data for OS).

Solution

richardunn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018

- After rufus finished, unzip the amd chipset driver, copy the folder into the just created windows installation flashdrive

- go to bios and set boot option 1 to UEFI: Flashdrive name or UEFI: flashdrive name Partition 1

- go install as usual, then choose custom, delete all the partition in the ssd you're about to install, and left it unallocated space/partition, then click on that 1 partition (because all partition is deleted and now you only have 1 partition on your ssd), then click next, and let the install finished.

- after installing windows and finished the OOBE, install amd chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced plan. then you're free to install the rest of the drivers.

*if you want to make a separate partition for windows and data, just substract the capacity the data partition - the os partition (EX: you want to make 256gb of os only, so 1.8Tb - 257gb, and use the unallocated 257gb of data for OS).

I think you've done it. Cant thank you enough, awesome answer with links and all directly. It seems the BIOS update was the biggest problem. After that I was able to boot from recovery usb. Im still installing windows, but everyhting looks good. If I dont send a message here anymore today then its done it.

Reactions: Koekieezz