[SOLVED] Windows not detecting HDD bad sectors, but CrystalDiskInfo gives warning

Buffito

Honorable
Jun 23, 2015
Hi,

I live in an area with really unstable power so we have frequent cuts. Unfortunately, this led to my PS4 shutting down incorrectly a few times, and after a while it started to get slower and slower until it eventually stopped starting up due to corruption.

I tried to format the hard drive and reinstall the system, but the issue persisted, so I put the hard drive on a USB adapter and connected it to my PC to check. CHKDSK detects no issues with the drive, but I get a warning on reallocated sectors in CrystalDiskInfo.

Is there any way to fix the issue?

CHKDSK:

poIy20MXp

CrystalDiskInfo:

pmKXWyF6p

Solution
Hi,

I live in an area with really unstable power so we have frequent cuts. Unfortunately, this led to my PS4 shutting down incorrectly a few times, and after a while it started to get slower and slower until it eventually stopped starting up due to corruption.

I tried to format the hard drive and reinstall the system, but the issue persisted, so I put the hard drive on a USB adapter and connected it to my PC to check. CHKDSK detects no issues with the drive, but I get a warning on reallocated sectors in CrystalDiskInfo.

CHKDSK:

poIy20MXp

CrystalDiskInfo:

pmKXWyF6p
Relocated sectors are bad sectors with data (obviously)...
Hi,

CHKDSK:

poIy20MXp

CrystalDiskInfo:

pmKXWyF6p
Relocated sectors are bad sectors with data (obviously) relocated to some healthy sectors usually in a spare space, they are marked as unusable so OS can't see them. Those sectors are marked and etched in drive's firmware and CD can see that. I would consider it as faulty because there's no telling if and how many more would also go bad. It can be still safe enough for non critical use for data but not for OS.

Solution