Windows Start Button Gone Forever, Replaced By Tutorial

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patpatpat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Windows 8 is the new Vista. Remember how Microsoft wanted to do alot of things differently and ended up "screwing the pooch" with Vista ? Well here we go again. MS wants to make a single o/s to span multiple platforms; PC, tablet, XBOX, phone. So now the o/s get demoted to the least common denominator and while i am sure the PC version will be more robust that, say a cell phone version, it will have the handicap of having to work in the Merto UI.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Anonymous_26[/nom]What a stupid idea I dont want my desktop to be like a touch pad or smart phone. FU Microsoft if they keep this idea going I'm switching to Linux or Mac OS.[/citation]
I already have my Linux distro picked out if Microsoft goes ahead with this. I can't stand it.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I want to see them not only keep the start menu but put it back the way it was like in windows XP. I can't stand how they changed it in vista and 7 so it has folders. If I wanted to browse folders I would go to my computer and browse through them and dig for applications. Ive pretty much resorted to putting an icon on the desktop to run things now, which is really just a band aid type fix.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
On second thought. just give me a new fresh 2012 version of DOS. Honestly I'd rather use that and run one thing at a time. My PC never crashed in the DOS days nor did I get an BSOD's

thats because DOS was only able to run ONE small program at a time and was a command line interface

FAIL

The_One_and_Only

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I swear I read somewhere that there would be the option to switch between the metro ui and the classic windows desktop (almost identical to win7). This Sucks donkey balls. The metro ui is ugly, way to girly with the color choices and overall shatty approach to desktop computing. Thank God Win7 is awesome the way it is? (Why do we need win8 again?)...

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Obviously which is why I said RUN ONE PROGRAM AT A TIME but yeah thanks for clearing up. :pfff:

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I hate April's 1st jokes! I don't even login to the internet because I hate it, and at April's 2nd I can still see this kinda of bs!
Anyways, with or without the start buttom, Im not gonna use Win8, only if they show a lot of improvement in speed and stability, which I find very unlikely! Time will tell...

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
People really need to quit bitching about the new interface. I am using Win8 x64 CP as my exclusive OS (though dual-booting with Win7), and guess what? I don't even NEED to go to the Metro Start screen for anything unless I want to pin items from it to my desktop. I use the CP totally in Desktop mode, and don't even see the new Metro interface unless I'm first booting the machine.

I would say to MS that they need to allow users to modify the All Apps screen...currently the main folder name doesn't stand out enough from the rest of the items, and users should be allowed to collapse folders we don't use. A good example is this: MS Silverlight has 4 different folders with only a Welcome to Silverlight hyperlink! Definitely not cool or a good use of space, especially on tiny, mobile displays.

Is it going to be worth for a Win7 user to switch over to Win8? I guess that would depend on the types of devices you're running; it would be sweet dealing with only one interface across several devices- desktop, phone, tablet, etc.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]I'm getting used to using the no start menu thing, still don't like. My biggest complaint is that there is no good way to exit apps. I don't want things running in the background if I'm not using them.[/citation]

Closing Metro apps is really easy actually, though I understand your frustration (I was having to Alt-F4 before learning this)...take your mouse pointer all the way to the top of the Metro App you're using (it should change to a hand), then left-click and hold, and then drag to the bottom of the screen...There you go!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
MicroCrap is going downhill fast....stick with what works and improve on how it works....there is nothing wrong with win7 interface.....they needs to make it more efficient not change how it looks

G

TwoDigital, do you realize how incredibly idiotic that is. The next iteration of Windows should make my computing experience more enjoyable, not more frustrating. I've ran the consumer preview of Window 8 and it's absolutely atrocious! I have to drag my mouse to the corners to access the start menu, I have to drag my mouse all the way to the right to access some applications, then all the way to the left to access others. I have to drag my mouse to the top of the screen then back down to the bottom to exit an application. What kind of asinine method of accessing information on a PC is that?

It's not an improvement, is a tremendous downgrade in my computing experience. Microsoft is out of their minds for thinking that Metro would work on a desktop. Their insanity and their inability to listen to customer feedback is going to reflect in their abysmal sales of Windows 8. Only the most masochistic sadist PC users would trade Windows 7 for the mess that is Windows 8.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]HVdynamo[/nom]The original article in the Seattle Times was from yesterday. So this is not an April Fools joke... I will also be sticking with Windows 7 with this news. They should at least allow people to turn on the start button from somewhere in the settings, not get rid of it completely.[/citation]

Yep, apparently you got thumbs down for pointing out the very obvious article that pretty much stated (on the 30th) that it may not come back. I agree that for convenience sake, allow an option to add the start button, at least for your average consumers.

Regardless, Windows 8 will not be something I would be interested in, unless I got a tablet, which it seems to be more optimized for that. Sometimes I just wonder what is wrong with MS, but hey, it's their OS, and who knows, maybe it'll work out, I just kind of doubt it.

captainspock

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Your comments suggest you are still wet behind the ears, and may be still at school etc and your idea that the reader engage in coitus is not helpful and illogical and I will not dignify that with a response.
BTW you do not identify who the guy is?

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]captainspock[/nom]Your comments suggest you are still wet behind the ears, and may be still at school etc and your idea that the reader engage in coitus is not helpful and illogical and I will not dignify that with a response.BTW you do not identify who the guy is?[/citation]

so how does it feel to be a 40 year old virgin? go to the link, find out yourself.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Wait I thought that MS was going to allow a "one click" option so that when you first boot up
W8 you can select "metro" or classic desktop, right?

If not there is NO way this is going to work because MS will lose 99% of all enterprise business

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Wait I thought that MS was going to allow a "one click" option so that when you first boot up W8 you can select "metro" or classic desktop, right?If not there is NO way this is going to work because MS will lose 99% of all enterprise business[/citation]

When you boot, the first screen (well, after the lock screen), that you will see is the Metro interface. There is a tile on there labeled 'Desktop'. Clicking on it will take you to the desktop, where you will find that it looks and acts just like Win7, minus the Start button.

BTW, when dual booting, the system will actually boot into Win8 by default and then give you a chance to select which OS to boot to. If you choose Win8, it immediately takes you to it. Choose the other OS and the system will totally reboot before going in it. This is a change from how earlier versions handled multiple OS's.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
It's just a button. I'm sure day to day use will be just as easy. I mean, most people i know, and myself, just stick all commonly used program and folder short cuts right on the desktop, so who cares.

In any case, win7 is going to be very viable for a few years to come, and win8 on a tablet will probably be awesome. So I think this is a win.

As for linux comments... Sure i'll switch to linux, as soon as it doesn't blow for pc gaming lol

captainspock

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I did and you are incorrect, as the only persons mentioned are Tami Reller who works for microsoft and the author of the article Janet I. Tu. and neither of them are guys.
There is no mention of anyone writing books about ms products for a living, the previous persons do not fit that description. Who is the guy?

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]captainspock[/nom]I did and you are incorrect, as the only persons mentioned are Tami Reller who works for microsoft and the author of the article Janet I. Tu. and neither of them are guys.There is no mention of anyone writing books about ms products for a living, the previous persons do not fit that description. Who is the guy?[/citation]

I don't know why, but the hyperlink isn't showing in that post of mine...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-consumer-preview-call-common-sense-142476

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I like Windows 8.
I was about to buy win7 for my htpc, but decided to give win8 a try. I like it enough to wait for win8 to reach retail shelves and will use the preview version until then. I think Microsoft made a good choice. One OS for tablets, desktop, and HTPC all in one. This way they only need to support one OS instead of multiple OSes for the different platforms.
Start button is still there, in a manner of speaking. Just move mouse to bottom corner. To me, the Metro UI is nothing more than a start menu filling the whole screen and much more functional at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.