[SOLVED] Windows StorPort or Storahci waking hdd every half an hour

Apr 5, 2021
My hard disk (Seagate Barracuda 1Tb - ST1000DM010) has been waking every half an hour even if I don't use it. I didn't bother about it earlier, but now it is apparent and irritating.

I don't get any errors while using it and no speed problems. I bought it a year ago.

I checked the event log and there is below kind of data every 20-30 minutes.

Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-StorPort

EventData
MiniportName storahci
MiniportEventId 27
MiniportEventDescription Port reset: Power up in progress

The HDD spins right at this moment and goes back to sleep after 2 to 4 mins.

Immediately after this, there is another event logged in and it is something like this

MiniportName storahci
MiniportEventId 30
MiniportEventDescription Device Start Fail: DET Timeout

Can someone help me out on this issue? Let me know if more details are required.

(This kind of event data comes for my ssd as well.)

Last edited:
Reactions: fren10
Solution
@ssreek

Look in Task Manager > Startup for any apps etc. being launched at startup and left running in the background. Could be something there that is waking up the HDD.

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler - some trigger(s) may be in place that likewise calls on the HDD.

Reliability History may be recording some action related to the HDD's behavior.

The 20-30 minute time frame is important. Look for any configuration settings within that time span.

Note: Avoid registry editing. Registry editing is a last resort and should only be done if the system/data is fully backed up and the backups proven recoverable and readable.

Likewise - is the data on that HDD backed up? It should be but if not, then do so.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't really know about this. It certainly appears to be something that Windows is doing to check and be sure that the storage device has NOT failed, and it's idle only because there was no request for its use. Whether there is a way to prevent this, I don't know. Whether it is wise to prevent this, maybe not. IF the device ever does fail, how will that be detected? Probably because you actually try to use it and it cannot do anything for you. Then what?

Jun 1, 2021
I don't really know about this. It certainly appears to be something that Windows is doing to check and be sure that the storage device has NOT failed, and it's idle only because there was no request for its use. Whether there is a way to prevent this, I don't know. Whether it is wise to prevent this, maybe not. IF the device ever does fail, how will that be detected? Probably because you actually try to use it and it cannot do anything for you. Then what?

Then, you will proceed to fix the failed drive, just how you would've done anyway. Also, Windows continuously checking for the drive's health may shorten the drive's lifespan, so it's actually not that smart of a move.

Windows spinning up drives for no reason is ridiculous, also given that earlier versions of Windows itself wouldn't do it. At least, there should be the possibility to choose what goes on with your own hardware. A fix involving StorPort was found, but it seems that Microsoft has wisely proceeded to make it useless

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...g/9d8a1069-ed8f-4703-923e-9b7162579f79?page=3

Apr 5, 2021
Then, you will proceed to fix the failed drive, just how you would've done anyway. Also, Windows continuously checking for the drive's health may shorten the drive's lifespan, so it's actually not that smart of a move.

Windows spinning up drives for no reason is ridiculous, also given that earlier versions of Windows itself wouldn't do it. At least, there should be the possibility to choose what goes on with your own hardware. A fix involving StorPort was found, but it seems that Microsoft has wisely proceeded to make it useless

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...g/9d8a1069-ed8f-4703-923e-9b7162579f79?page=3

I tried that workaround in the link you have provided before posting the question here. But it didn't work. This thing still goes on and annoys me still

Reactions: fren10
Jun 1, 2021
I tried that workaround in the link you have provided before posting the question here. But it didn't work. This thing still goes on and annoys me still

I have tried it myself and I've got mixed results. I have found also this thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d=fee5fd5d-70e4-41d5-a06e-ccdac55b4cdb&auth=1

which talks about wuauserv. Applying the registry patch together with disabling wuauserv through Windows Update Blocker seems to change something, but I have experienced some random HDD wakes anyway. It's really frustrating, even though having a secondary HDD sounds so simple in theory....

Ralston18

Titan
@ssreek

Look in Task Manager > Startup for any apps etc. being launched at startup and left running in the background. Could be something there that is waking up the HDD.

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler - some trigger(s) may be in place that likewise calls on the HDD.

Reliability History may be recording some action related to the HDD's behavior.

The 20-30 minute time frame is important. Look for any configuration settings within that time span.

Note: Avoid registry editing. Registry editing is a last resort and should only be done if the system/data is fully backed up and the backups proven recoverable and readable.

Likewise - is the data on that HDD backed up? It should be but if not, then do so.

Solution