[SOLVED] Windows TDR Failure (PC wont boot unless in safe mode) ?

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Hi! I just opened up my PC This afternoon to have an error, WINDOWS TDR Error, it says something about nvid.sys

It wont me boot up unless i was in safe mode so, (My pc booted while i got into safe mode, so what I did inside safe mode was do DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller) and i was able to boot it up

People say it can also be a hardware issue, im trying to download new drivers for my GPU to see.

The last temp i checked my gpu was while i gamed was 70c which i know wasnt overheating.

I also shut down my PC properly prior to this error

Im wondering what causes this problem

PC Specs: i5 4570s
GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
SSDL ADATA 120gb
HDD 1tb

I just tried to install a graphics driver and windows had another Error, it BSOD me into Windows TDR error :(

Last edited:
Solution
Remove graphics card from system (physically) and use integrated graphics instead.

Im sorry for not including this before but I just remembered it. Prior to this error, my pc has been experiencing some weird glitches /random crashes (not everytime, and frequent but I would notice it) (I guess it was the gpu driver crashing and rebooting) because sometimes when I play, or try to open a .mp4 file, my pc would somehow turn into a refresh state (experience similar to when you restart windows explorer, icons refreshing etc, and after that the screen looks somehow glitched and then the pc would work fine after that). (games would crash, but after that, everything would work fine again)

Coming back to the Issue,

Hi! I was about to...

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Remove graphics card from system (physically) and use integrated graphics instead.

Im sorry for not including this before but I just remembered it. Prior to this error, my pc has been experiencing some weird glitches /random crashes (not everytime, and frequent but I would notice it) (I guess it was the gpu driver crashing and rebooting) because sometimes when I play, or try to open a .mp4 file, my pc would somehow turn into a refresh state (experience similar to when you restart windows explorer, icons refreshing etc, and after that the screen looks somehow glitched and then the pc would work fine after that). (games would crash, but after that, everything would work fine again)

Coming back to the Issue,

Hi! I was about to try removing the GPU and boot but here's an update:

So yeah, the Windows TDR BSOD error occurs when I try to boot the pc with a GPU driver installed. My pc boots up successfully if I Uninstall all GPU drivers via DDU

Before I tried installing a new driver, I saw a thread in the NVIDIA forums that the TDR causes because windows tries to update ur graphics driver, so I went to advanced system settings>Hardware>Device installation settings and I turned off "automatically download manufacturer's apps, and custom icons available for your devices" So that's what I did.

I proceeded in installing another version of the driver which was the latest 512.77 for gtx 1060 3gb and while it was installing, the pc proceeded into a blackscreen and it was stuck there for a few minutes so I force restarted it using the Power button

Now I Tried to boot one last time to see if it will succeed (I was about to perform a clean windows installation if it didn't) but this time, I don't know why the boot succeeded this time, so for me to be sure, I tried reinstalling the driver again (I was able to successfully boot without the BSOD) and the GPU driver installation proceeded successfully.

Now after "successfully" installing the driver, I tried to run a Valley Benchmark to see if my GPU would be able to handle such applications and It ran successfully without any errors

As of now, im trying to run a game to see what happens.

I also uninstalled some of the apps that might have interfered with my gpu such as MSI after burner / Riva Tuner (I installed this so I could set a custom fan curve, I do not overclock)

Right now I haven't tried restarting my pc to see if TDR BSOD happens again.

I don't know if the information I provided was helpful but I'm also having a hard time looking into different forums relating to my Issue.

Last edited:
Solution