Windows XP does not respond from Profile Screen

On the very first screen of Windows XP where I select the profile, after I
select the profile, the message "Loading Personal Setting" and then nothing
happens, I can move the mouse but I can not even type CTRL + ALT + DEL, it
gets completely stuck.
Just few times I can go through, but when I perform any action on the
Desktop Screen it gets stuck.
I pretty sure memory is not the problem, since I got 640MB of RAM and until
the day before it was running perfectly and smoothly.

Last week I installed a GeForce GraphicCard 256MB, do you think it could
have triggered this problem ?

I appreciate your attention to give some help.

Thanks,

"Andrew Pontes" <Andrew Pontes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>On the very first screen of Windows XP where I select the profile, after I
>select the profile, the message "Loading Personal Setting" and then nothing
>happens, I can move the mouse but I can not even type CTRL + ALT + DEL, it
>gets completely stuck.
>Just few times I can go through, but when I perform any action on the
>Desktop Screen it gets stuck.
>I pretty sure memory is not the problem, since I got 640MB of RAM and until
>the day before it was running perfectly and smoothly.
>
>Last week I installed a GeForce GraphicCard 256MB, do you think it could
>have triggered this problem ?
>
>I appreciate your attention to give some help.
>
>Thanks,

Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon
as the first information of any kind shows on the screen. Keep
tapping rapidly until the Windows Startup Menu appears then choose
"Last Known Good Configuration" from the menu.

If it will not start with that selection then repeat the procedure and
this time choose "Safe Mode" from the menu.

When the computer has booted up use Accessories - System Tools -
System Restore and set the computer back to a recent point that is
prior to the onset of the problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--