pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
is windows xp worth getting or is it not worth the trouble i've been hearing about? should i just stick with win 2k or upgrade?

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Win2k is better than XP, in my personal opinion. All XP is, is Win2k with a few extras and a slightly changed look. Those extras, however, are not near as good as many you can get easily, so it makes the point of upgrading moot. Add in stupid registration, driver problems, etc, and there is really no point.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

Actually, they seem to have released a fairly bug free version.
By the way, if you can get a copy of the professional version for free, there is no reason NOT to upgrade. The pro version does NOT require activation.

Not that I condone software piracy.

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
XP pro or home is still crap, registration or not!

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you saying the retail pro version doesn't have activation? I have the devilsown and it doesn't a have activation but thats because its the corp version.
I also purchased the have version and it has activation.
of which I've had to reinstall three times now.
This last time i had to call microsoft to get a new activaqtion code because i installed a second lan card.
If you ever stop learning then your dead!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
There is one important feature of xp which is not available in 2k, compatability modes. There are a few older games which wont run on 2k, and some older software, but most of these games can be run on xp in 9x compatibility mode.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i dont get M$ at all. Well the home version for $199 you need to registered it. the Pro Version for $299 doesnt need to be registered. Lets see WTF are they thinking.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
a: you have to register pro too, corporate version is non registration, but only devils own is out for that I believe.
b: answer what? you made a statement, not a question.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

XEnigma88

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
Unless XP has some feature that you desperately need,just stick with 2K. Why spend $100 when XP isn't really revolutionary. Just stick with 2K.

:lol: <b>Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island. Discuss!</b> :lol:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Windows XP Home Edition is revolutionary for Windows 9x/Me users, however Windows XP Professional Edition is not revolutionary for Windows 2000 Pro users.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
So going from 98 or me would probably be worth it, but not from 2K??
I have 98 and was thinking of 2k, but I guess XP looks better overall.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
matisaro, are you really buying a new OS just to support old stuff?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

cera26

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2001
HAHA, I'm just gonna get the pirated version for $2.5, I'm sure somebody will find a way to get rid of the stupid registration. If not, I'd rather have to reinstall the OS every 30 days then spend $199

<i>cera</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Going from Windows 98 or Windows Me to Windows XP is amazing. You'll get better performance and a lot more stability and a fresh new interface to go along with it all. However, going from Windows 2000 isn't as impressive because all you get is more compatibility and a new look plus a few other minor tweaks/additions.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

XP is nice, as was Win2K. If you have up to date hardware (like 1+ Ghz and 256+ Mb), I'd recommend it. The activation is really a non issue if you buy it (just one click if you have internet, which you obvisouly have since you post here). Going from win2k to XP gives you mostly a nice user interface only (I admit, a very nice one.. gotta love these picture folders and custimizable icons). Going from win 9x is truly an eXPierience.. stability at last..

Downsides could be the usual compatibility issues. Im having some minor trouble with virusscanners, Nero and ICQ. They all kinda work, but dont seem to like the new UI. KaZaa doesnt work, but that should be fixed real soon.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
98SE outperforms XP. Flat out. XP looks faster because it caches frequently used programs so they START faster, but the same thing that makes them START faster makes them RUN slower do to overhead!

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Activation a non-issue? When did this happen? You DO know that your only allowed a small number of activations before you have to call them up and beg for permission, don't you? And that many hardware changes require re-activation! God forbid we should make frequent changes to our systems!

Back to you Tom...

Zyphoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WindowsXP is bloated out the A$$ buggy ware. At this point and time . At this point and time you can crash it like a tweakster on a 5 day mumble run. Even with the driver updates it is still very unstable. And I know people will say they have it running solid but just put in 1 of the wrong games or programs and blink BSOD pops up and shuts down .Stick with win98 or win2k for now unless u just need 1.78 gigs of your HD space occupied by XP!

If the fat lady's singing at least shes losing weight.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
pro (standalone) requires activation. corporate doesn't. well really the interface i admit go rather annoying after just a few hours. cheesy and cartoon-ish looking and i'm going out on a limb here saying they are trying to compete with OSX on interface.

Teknoman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
iv been useing winxp pro (retail)for about a month and half. its pretty damn good. cartoonish u can change it in display for a classic look. yes it starts up much faster i beleave it has to do with them completely getting rid of dos. I dont know about that whole cache thing with it preloading and paying for it in performance iv been using this since 12 am to 6 am and i have not noticed the slightest drop in performace. i dont know about win98se out performing winxp have u ever left win98se on for 8 hours, sure it starts up pretty quick so does win95 with all the new hardware thats out. And to the guy who said all it is winxp with extras LOL u over simplified it alot. if u have the money or connections.. GET IT!!! $299 is pretty expensive. but instead of buying win2kpro buy xp pro. and u can get all service packs when they come out like win2k pro u can just download then from windows update. oh god dont waste your time with upgrades if thats the case just stick with your original OS. The only reason not to buy it its 299 but then again all MS's OS are 299, but also too i dont know how it feels to walk in to a store and pay 299 for an OS:).i give it 4 out 5 Anna Kournikova camel toe.