Question Wired Internet connection problems after new GPU installation ?

Mar 3, 2023
Hi there all, new user of Tom’s Hardware here seeking any help that I can get to find an issue that I have with my PC (I’m a rather amateur builder so people may be able to spot any immediate errors in my hardware).

In December 2022 I purchased and installed a new graphics card. Previously I had a Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G, my new card is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB.
Since the installation of my new graphics card, my internet has been randomly dropping while gaming. Originally this was only happening for games with a higher demand such as Modern Warfare 2 (2022), but now it is happening in games that don't even require much to run such as Rocket League. Halfway through online matches, my ping will skyrocket and suddenly my PC will have disconnected from the internet, despite my PC having a wired connection and my modem always staying online.

I'll post my full specs below after I say what I have already tried. I've already tried the following solutions:
  • Unticked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
  • Updated motherboard BIOS & network drivers
  • Updated Graphics card drivers
  • Checked internet status on modem
  • Increased link speed
  • Tried disabling some of the advanced properties of the network connection
Here are my full specs. Please let me know if you think it might be something hardware related:
GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard:
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
PSU:
GOLDEN FIELD GPG 80+ Gold 850W PC Power Supply Unit
Hard Drives:
Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND SSD
Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch HDD
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Windows 10 64-bit
Case:
CiT Raider PC Gaming Case, Mid-Tower ATX

I'm starting to lose hope a bit and think that maybe I have a bad motherboard or something, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I have to find the money for a new one.
Thanks in advance to anybody that tries to assist with the issue! :(
-Steve

Lutfij

Titan
Previously I had a Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G, my new card is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB.
Did you run DDU prior to removing the GTX1660 from the build? If not, do so now and then manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

PSU:
Not something I'd have called a PSU. I've dealt with them and honestly they are worse than the CV labelled units from Corsair.

Motherboard:
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Mar 3, 2023
Previously I had a Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G, my new card is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB.
Did you run DDU prior to removing the GTX1660 from the build? If not, do so now and then manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

PSU:
Not something I'd have called a PSU. I've dealt with them and honestly they are worse than the CV labelled units from Corsair.

Motherboard:
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. I believe I didn't run a DDU. Sorry, I thought that GeForce Experience would have installed all the appropriate new drivers for me and remove the older ones but at least I know to do this now, I will run it as soon as I can.

I see, do Golden Field PSUs have a reputation of being unreliable? I was just searching for a larger power supply on Amazon at the time and thought that it'd have enough wattage.

My SMbios version says 2.8. Is that the correct number you're looking for?

Lutfij

Titan
My SMbios version says 2.8.
That is why I asked you if you have the make and model of your board as well as the BIOS version correct. You have one more BIOS version pending update. Did you try DDU?

Might want to also keep a borrowed PSU, that's reliably built with at least 650W at your entire system's disposal, handy to rule out your issue stemming from the PSU.