[SOLVED] Work Computer wont register ethernet switch when other PC's do?

Jan 18, 2021
Hey guys,
I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home now, and just set up my desktop at home beside my gaming pc.
I ran into a problem, ethernet is ran and plugged in, I verified the cable works fine but I can get internet on my work pc. It keeps giving me the error of "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration"
The cable is run to a ethernet switch in my hall, it has my mothers work laptop, and my gaming pc hooked up to it and we've had no problems whatsoever so far.
I'm thinking it's the switch that is causing the problem, but I don't have any other way to hook it up without causing problems. I was hoping that there'd be a quick fix like configuring the switch or something.
(Currently running windows 10)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance :)

This is the switch;

https://www.newegg.ca/d-link-dgs-10...jhamz91ZaVaxjkHgwCDcqR3W_zjdAbwxoC39MQAvD_BwE

Solution
So I got in touch with IT from work this morning, the switch was connected directly to my modem making it a very open network. All I had to do was plug the CAT cable for my plug upstairs into the router instead of my modem. Very simple fix after spending hours trying different commands and resets.

Thanks all for the help

Yes, the way to run the network is the router goes to the modem, everything else is connected to the router. Most normal ISP modems only assign one IP address to the connection on it.
Jan 18, 2021
Did you check your network card IP settings? Sounds like you may have a static IP set or maybe you have security on the router set to only allow certain MAC addresses to connect. If this is a computer from work, did you ask your IT people about this?

Just checked, it's not static. (obtaining ip's automatically)
Currently in talks with IT and figured it was easier to ask the internet, I was hoping it'd be something simple I could do on my own.

As far as the router goes, how would I check that? It's a generic one given to me by the isp, I've never messed with the security options.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

" but I don't have any other way to hook it up without causing problems. "

What sort of problems? Can you provide additional information and details?

Bypass wall outlets and other interim cables and devices.

What happens if you bypass the switch and test a connection directly into the router?

On your work computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Do the same on another known working network computer.

Try to identify the router (make and model information. Who is your ISP?

Jan 18, 2021
So I got in touch with IT from work this morning, the switch was connected directly to my modem making it a very open network. All I had to do was plug the CAT cable for my plug upstairs into the router instead of my modem. Very simple fix after spending hours trying different commands and resets.

Thanks all for the help

Thanks all for the help

Yes, the way to run the network is the router goes to the modem, everything else is connected to the router. Most normal ISP modems only assign one IP address to the connection on it.

Solution