Working Remotely and Norton AntiVirus

We were having no problems connecting remotely, then we
installed Norton AntiVirus Software to our computers and
now we can no longer connect remotely. Does anyone know
what may have caused this and how we can fix the
problem? We have looked on the Support for Norton and
Microsoft to no resolution!

Thanks

Misty wrote:
> We were having no problems connecting remotely, then we
> installed Norton AntiVirus Software to our computers and
> now we can no longer connect remotely. Does anyone know
> what may have caused this and how we can fix the
> problem?

Just to test - if you uninstall Norton on the host PC does it make the
problem go away?

We have looked on the Support for Norton and
> Microsoft to no resolution!

See if you can isolate the problem first. What version of Norton? Anything
show up in the event logs?

> Thanks

Norton has been uninstalled and everything is back to
normal with no problems connecting. We are using Norton
Internet Security 2004. Nothing in the Event Logs.

Thanks

Norton firewall which is part of Interenet security is
probally causing the problem. You can setup the
connections which it allows access.

Perhaps the Norton support pages may be of help...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/d4c5e22498a8619f88256b6c000ba435/d09aec3ec3d4cf5488256c6000823c88?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2004%20for%20Windows%2098/Me/2000/XP&src=sg&pcode=nis&svy=&csm=no

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Misty wrote:
> [...]

OK, NIS isn't actually the same thing as Norton Antivirus. It's a firewall
as well. Try reinstalling it and disabling the firewall feature, then test
again.

> Thanks

"Misty" <mpm.jkgco@catel.net> wrote in message

In your original post you said you were using Norton AntiVirus, which would
make no difference at all. Clearly, if you now say you are using the Norton
firewall, then you must open the relevant ports to accept your incoming
connections. What ports they might be depends on what "connecting remotely"
in your post means.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I realized that, but even if you turn the firewall off
you are unable to access remotely.

from connecting to the Computer to work remotely. I will
try to reinstall and see what the result is. Also, thank
you for being willing to help, and for not being rude in
your posts to me. It is nice to know that there are
still a few genuinely nice people in this world.
Thanks

Misty wrote:
> [...]

Hmmm. You're sure the Windows firewall is disabled too?
Can you even ping the workstation by name/IP from another box?

> I will
> try to reinstall and see what the result is. Also, thank
> you for being willing to help, and for not being rude in
> your posts to me. It is nice to know that there are
> still a few genuinely nice people in this world.

<blushes> You're very welcome. And thanks for the compliment.

> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS