[SOLVED] Would like suggestions between the 2080, 2080 super, and 2080 ti

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
This is pretty much comes down to asking for justification on this purchase. Currently, I have my selection set on the 2080 ti but quite frankly the price is getting pretty high. I can most definitely afford a 2080 ti but just wondering about other alternatives that may be a cheaper. I was looking at the 2080 super and it from a little digging around, I found that its not to far spec wise from the 2080 ti. I also found a lot of complaints about the 2080 super, mostly about how the sudden replacement of the original 2080 isnt justified and such and the slight increase in performance from the 2080 to the 2080 super isnt worth the price increase. Found that many would rather pick up the 2080 instead of spending the little extra on the 2080 super. What I want to use one of these cards for is primarily for gaming with some programming, video editing and streaming on the side. any suggestions and feed back on this would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hi! Just finished deciding on the same trilemma between 2070S, 2080S and 2080 Ti.

I ended up with a 2080 Super, for these reasons:
  1. Where I'm located, it costs more or less the same as a 2080.
  2. It has way better value than the 2080 Ti.
  3. a 2080 Ti would require me to upgrade my PSU (requires 750W at least, I have 650)

I've seen a lot of benchmarks online and I'm not sure where you get the info that the 2080 Ti is "not too far" from the 2080 Super, I've seen it easily get 20 or more FPS over the 2080 Super in some games at 1440p.

This decision depends entirely on the following:
  • Are you willing to upgrade your PSU if necessary?
  • What do you want to achieve? (1440p@144hz for example?)
  • What is your budget?
Aug 5, 2019
Hi! Just finished deciding on the same trilemma between 2070S, 2080S and 2080 Ti.

3. a 2080 Ti would require me to upgrade my PSU (requires 750W at least, I have 650)

I've seen a lot of benchmarks online and I'm not sure where you get the info that the 2080 Ti is "not too far" from the 2080 Super, I've seen it easily get 20 or more FPS over the 2080 Super in some games at 1440p.

• What is your budget?

Solution

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I don't know what pricing is like where you are, but in my area the 2080 is "on sale" for about the same price as a 2080 super...the 2080 had a higher price point so it takes a pretty deep cut to make it worthwhile. The TI is just ridiculously more expensive...almost double in Canada; it's stupid lol.

I'm running the 2080 super now and it's a very good card...no way I could justify the TI, but the TI does have significantly more power.

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014

• What is your budget?
the prices here where im from have a decent price range, around $50-100+ difference, like the 2080 and 2080 super for example. Considering that i am building a new rig as opposed to upgrading my current one, upgrading the psu wouldnt be a problem though i thought a 650W would have been enough. What I am wanting is like you mentioned in your 2nd point, 1440p at 144 frames. As for my budget, i am spending up to $3000 or less on a new rig.

I don't know what pricing is like where you are, but in my area the 2080 is "on sale" for about the same price as a 2080 super...the 2080 had a higher price point so it takes a pretty deep cut to make it worthwhile. The TI is just ridiculously more expensive...almost double in Canada; it's stupid lol.

I'm running the 2080 super now and it's a very good card...no way I could justify the TI, but the TI does have significantly more power.
In my area, there arent any sales for GPUS and such, most of the time the GPU shelves in some place are empty, literally. Any kind of shopping I do for those things are online only. Like i said in the reply above, I want to reach 1440p at 144 frames, preferably at max settings. Overall, I am waiting until black friday/cyber monday hits to see if i can catch any sweet sweet deals on one of these cards.

Aug 5, 2019
@Shuten with a budget of $3000 you can certainly get away with a 2080 Ti and i7-9700k combination and still have plenty left for even a 1440p@144hz monitor in there too. So that concludes my advice :) Interested to see your final parts list!

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
@Shuten with a budget of $3000 you can certainly get away with a 2080 Ti and i7-9700k combination and still have plenty left for even a 1440p@144hz monitor in there too. So that concludes my advice :) Interested to see your final parts list!
well i was gonna go with an AMD build for my setup as opposed to an intel one, but anyways this is what my planned setup will look like, dont mind the price right now as the price of the gpu is stupid until more come into stock at other retailers. Other than that, this list is my mostly set in stone parts list, though some of the parts are a little pricey like the case. but i like that case, really like the tempered glass them it has and especially loving the door side panels it has for ease of access.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PjdGf9

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019
well i was gonna go with an AMD build for my setup as opposed to an intel one, but anyways this is what my planned setup will look like, dont mind the price right now as the price of the gpu is stupid until more come into stock at other retailers. Other than that, this list is my mostly set in stone parts list, though some of the parts are a little pricey like the case. but i like that case, really like the tempered glass them it has and especially loving the door side panels it has for ease of access.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PjdGf9
I know with a $ 3.000 budget it is not the goal to save money, but I see some room for savings especially when it comes to memory/motherboard. We can easily reduce the entire build cost by $ 200-300 with just those 2 and still get more or less the same for it.

Try looking for memory in the 3000-3200 Mhz range, this will save you some easy money with neglectable performance difference (if any at all!). For the motherboard I always tick the filters that I know I need and then sort by price ascending and pick the cheapest model that appeals to me. I expect you can save about 100$ on the motherboard alone. Of course the RTX price is very inaccurate atm, so won't speak to that. The case is expensive for a case, but it looks very cool and honestly with a budget like that I personally wouldn't cheap out on a case, it matters a lot for the aesthetic and feel, also the features it offers are great. it will be great to build in and maintain.

Looks like a sick build! I hope to get a budget like yours some day and go nuts!

Shuten

Honorable
Aug 11, 2014
I know with a $ 3.000 budget it is not the goal to save money, but I see some room for savings especially when it comes to memory/motherboard. We can easily reduce the entire build cost by $ 200-300 with just those 2 and still get more or less the same for it.
I dont think i mentioned this but the plan is to get all this on black friday/cyber monday for sweet deals. Honestly, im not expecting all of this stuff to go on sale but i am at least expecting the overall price to drop down around $2-400 at most which saves me a good bit as well

TRENDING THREADS