[SOLVED] Wrong wiring 6 pin pcie connector?

thisisaac

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
The pinout of my pcie 6 pin connector seems to be the other way round compared to this picture I was referring too

https://images.app.goo.gl/QXsTPsxn2huNzPUD6
I'm not using any adapter when I tested it, the rail closer (black wiring)to the notch is +12v but the other rail is GND (yellow wiring). I had to use a dual molex to 6 pin adapter to get my gpu to work, else it keeps getting shorted

My psu: cooler master m2 620w

Solution
I agree in both cases, and as I said earlier, it's likely the cable is wrong AND it's a very old power supply. Replacement is probably a foregone conclusion at this point. Further use may well result in loss or damage to your hardware. Not worth it for a part that can be replaced for less than a hundred bucks in most cases, which is a lot less than most graphics cards or motherboards. Especially since, if you buy a good one, it will likely last you another ten years, since PSU technology has greatly improved since when that unit was new.
Are you sure, you're measuring PCIE 6pin (and not CPU 8pin connector)?

Are you using original modular cables for your psu? With wrong cables you can damage your pc.

There is only ONE type of six pin PCI power connector, so unless you have an OEM prebuilt system that uses a 6 pin for the main motherboard power source, it can't be wrong. And using molex to PCI adapters is a good way to end up with a lot of magic smoke coming out of your machine.

Your PSU model was released back in 2012, so the problem might actually be that the PCI circuit on your unit simply isn't working, being as it's between six and eight years old.

If you are using modular cables that did not come WITH that unit, that is a BIG problem as well.

thisisaac

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Are you sure, you're measuring PCIE 6pin (and not CPU 8pin connector)?

Are you using original modular cables for your psu? With wrong cables you can damage your pc.

[edit]
I'm not sure if the 6 pin pcie cable is the original one, I've even tried probing directly to the pins of the psu, the rails nearer to the notch is +12v while the other is GND. Kinda odd..

Last edited:

thisisaac

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
There is only ONE type of six pin PCI power connector, so unless you have an OEM prebuilt system that uses a 6 pin for the main motherboard power source, it can't be wrong. And using molex to PCI adapters is a good way to end up with a lot of magic smoke coming out of your machine.

Your PSU model was released back in 2012, so the problem might actually be that the PCI circuit on your unit simply isn't working, being as it's between six and eight years old.

If you are using modular cables that did not come WITH that unit, that is a BIG problem as well.
Should I replace my PSU? Both of the 6 pin pcie are +12V on top GND bottom. Would a sata to 6 pin / 8 pin adapter for my gpu suffice instead ?

I agree in both cases, and as I said earlier, it's likely the cable is wrong AND it's a very old power supply. Replacement is probably a foregone conclusion at this point. Further use may well result in loss or damage to your hardware. Not worth it for a part that can be replaced for less than a hundred bucks in most cases, which is a lot less than most graphics cards or motherboards. Especially since, if you buy a good one, it will likely last you another ten years, since PSU technology has greatly improved since when that unit was new.

Solution